Codewarrior 5.2 with a XEP100 device

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Codewarrior 5.2 with a XEP100 device

johnthompson001
Contributor II

I'm Using Codewarrior 5.2 with the S12XEP100 device and with an Absolute assembler program. I'm puzzled why a .phy file is not generated when a Make is implemented. There is a project.abs.S19 file and a project.abs.glo file but I am expecting a project.abs.phy file so I can load into physical memory using the BDM interface.

Any ideas please.

PS. I've been tasked with converting code from Absolute assembler to C but I need to verify the code first. Wish me luck! 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies

johnthompson001
Contributor II

Hi Jennie,

Using the DEMOAX9S12 evaluation board with the XEP100 device and using the EEEPROM_Quick_Start.mcp  project from the downloaded AN3743SW.zip files I am able to verify the EEEPROM memory functionality by stepping through the code using Codewarrior. When trying to repeat the process on our design of system board with a XEP100 then the FDIV error is displayed whilst executing the step through. I've confirmed the  

'#define FCLK_DIV 0x2F   // Flash clock divider for 50MHz crystal'

in the CLOCK DIVIDE SECTION is correct and the board/device functions correctly with the rest of the project. This is the second device showing the same problem so I'm confident I've ruled out a device with faulty memory.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

The activities of this thread is too long.

As this is a new question, Can you please create a new thread for it? thanks.

Best Regards,

Jennie Zhang

0 Kudos

johnthompson001
Contributor II

Hi Jennie,

Many thanks for your reply. I’ve posted the enquiry and created a new thread (XEP100 EEEPROM) as you instructed.

Best Regards

John Thompson

Testometric

materials testing machines

Unit 1, Lincoln Business Park

Lincoln Close, Rochdale

Lancashire, England OL11 1NR

Telephone: +44 (0) 1706 654039

Facsimile: +44 (0) 1706 646089

Website: www.testometric.co.uk<blocked::http://www.testometric.co.uk/>;

Reg. No. 1112862 England

P Please consider the environment before printing this email.

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

You are welcome.

Jennie Zhang

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi John.

in  CW5.x.

for HCS12 derivative, after a successful build, it generates .s19 and .phy file.

for HCS12X derivative, after a successful build, it generates .s19 and .glo file.

PHY files are also S19s that just happen to have a linear address format. 

What I can suggest is to use a small tool application called S Reccord Converter that allows to go from a banked S19 format to a linear S19 format.

This application is easy and intuitive to use and you can download it  from NXP web site.

go to www.nxp.com

search it with keyword "SRECCVTSW"

Hope this helps!

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

johnthompson001
Contributor II

Hi Jennie,

Many thanks for your prompt reply and your support. The conversion application has helped me test the code.

I can imagine that mapping the memory in Relocatable assembler and then in C starts to get quite technical especially as the memory footprint for the Absolute assembler is > 32k.

Regards

John Thompson

Testometric

Lincoln Close, Rochdale

Reg. No. 1112862 England

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

You are welcome!

BR,

Jennie

0 Kudos

johnthompson001
Contributor II

Hi Jennie,

I should have included that the Project.abs is not a standard text file (like the .s19 & .glo files) so is this the file that Codewarrior uses to load into the target device via Debug?

Hi Jennie,

I’ve managed to convert, using SRecCvt utility, the .s19 file to a linear .phy file and load it onto the target device (XEP100) using the USB Multilink and the P&E Programming utility (PROG12Z) and run the code successfully.

I’ve tried to use the Debug option in Codewarrior to erase and program the device directly but Codewarrior wants to use Project.abs which I suspect is not linear hence the code will not run when using this method. I’ve tried pointing to the linear file format (renamed as Project.abs) but during writing to the device in Codewarrior there is an error displayed.

Is there a way to stay within the Codewarrior environment to use Make and Debug with a USB Multilink on the XEP100 device without having to Convert to a linear file?

The project I’ve been tasked with is to port an old absolute assembler coded design into relocatable Assembler and then into C.

Many thanks for your support.

Regards

John Thompson

Testometric

Lincoln Close, Rochdale

Reg. No. 1112862 England

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

.glo and .s19 are flash burning image. Besides the burning information,  .abs file also includes debug information. So .abs file is CW debugger hiwave debug file.

if we already have .s19 or .abs  file, we can also use Codewarrior to program the burning file into flash. This tool is called hiwave.exe(CW debugger). The method is as below:
1.   Install Codewarrior.
2.   make sure the hardware is well connected with PC. For instance you are using BDM multilink or Cyclone Pro.
3.   open Hiwave debugger “Hiwave.exe” in {Your CW install directory}\prog
4.   then in debugger, go to menu “component”, “set connection…”. In new pop-up small dialog, in the dropdown list, select HC12 and P&E Multilink/Cyclone Pro. Click OK to close this dialog.
5.   go to menu “MultilinkCyclonePro”, “device”, select the right device chip.
6.   go to menu “MultilinkCyclonePro”, “connect”, Set the right connection.
7.   go to menu “File”, “Load application…”. Import the .s19 file into debugger. You could have a browse the content at the memory window of the debugger, it should be in coincidence with the s-record file.
8.   Press F5 to run. The code should download into the flash.

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

johnthompson001
Contributor II

Hi Jennie,

Many thanks for your help again. Running Hiwave and loading the raw .s19 file works.

Regards

John Thompson

Testometric

Lincoln Close, Rochdale

Reg. No. 1112862 England

0 Kudos

johnthompson001
Contributor II

Hi Jennie,

I’ve managed to convert, using SRecCvt utility, the .s19 file to a linear .phy file and load it onto the target device (XEP100) using the USB Multilink and the P&E Programming utility (PROG12Z) and run the code successfully.

I’ve tried to use the Debug option in Codewarrior to erase and program the device directly but Codewarrior wants to use Project.abs which I suspect is not linear hence the code will not run when using this method. I’ve tried pointing to the linear file format (renamed as Project.abs) but during writing to the device in Codewarrior there is an error displayed.

Is there a way to stay within the Codewarrior environment to use Make and Debug with a USB Multilink on the XEP100 device without having to Convert to a linear file?

The project I’ve been tasked with is to port an old absolute assembler coded design into relocatable Assembler and then into C.

Many thanks for your support.

Regards

John Thompson

Testometric

Lincoln Close, Rochdale

Reg. No. 1112862 England

0 Kudos