cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MPL3115A2 to measure pressure in a sealed container

Jump to solution
evacuate
Contributor I

The MPL3115A2 is listed as a absolute barometric pressure sensor / altimeter and has a measuring range of 20kPa to 110kPa.

I would need to obtain readings @ 100Hz but that does not seem to be a problem as the sensor has a output data rate of 100Hz in polling mode.

Can I use this sensor in an application that needs to measure the level vacuum in a sealed container, the vacuum would not be more than 50% or around 7.5psi absolute?.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

I’m not sure if I understand your question, but I will try to answer it below, please let me know if I misunderstood your question.

7.5psi (51.7kPa) is definitely in the measurable pressure range for the MPL3115A2, so, if you are trying to read pressure between vacuum (about 0psi) and 7.5.psi, the MPL3115A2 can work for your application, but you need to be aware that this pressure sensor is not able to measure pressures between 0kPa and 20kPa since it is out of the operating range, so, a determination must be made if this impact is acceptable for the application.

Another solution would be to use an analog output, compensated absolute pressure sensor capable of measure a pressure range from 0 to 100kPa, according to the datasheet, the MPX2100A can be used for this kind of applications.

Have a great day,
Jose

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

I’m not sure if I understand your question, but I will try to answer it below, please let me know if I misunderstood your question.

7.5psi (51.7kPa) is definitely in the measurable pressure range for the MPL3115A2, so, if you are trying to read pressure between vacuum (about 0psi) and 7.5.psi, the MPL3115A2 can work for your application, but you need to be aware that this pressure sensor is not able to measure pressures between 0kPa and 20kPa since it is out of the operating range, so, a determination must be made if this impact is acceptable for the application.

Another solution would be to use an analog output, compensated absolute pressure sensor capable of measure a pressure range from 0 to 100kPa, according to the datasheet, the MPX2100A can be used for this kind of applications.

Have a great day,
Jose

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
evacuate
Contributor I

Thanks Jose,

I was a bit confused regarding the application of the sensor.

Its been marketed as a altimeter / barometric pressure sensor and I want

to measure pressure in sealed container.

Yes I'm okay with the pressure range its fine at the moment.

But If I interpret your answer correctly it would say that I can use it.

Thanks

0 Kudos
reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Yes, you can use the MPL3115A2 to measure pressure in a sealed container, but you need to be aware that this pressure sensor is not able to measure pressures between 0kPa and 20kPa since it is out of the operating range.

Have a great day,
Jose

0 Kudos
joachim_manner
Contributor I

Hi Jose

Sorry for my question 4 years later ;-)

You wrote:

"but you need to be aware that this pressure sensor is not able to measure pressures between 0kPa and 20kPa since it is out of the operating range."

What does this mean? Are the measures not reliable or will the sensor be damaged below 20kPa?

Best regards

Joe

0 Kudos