cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ECC event error

jonasa
Contributor II

Hello,

I use a SPC5668E and I sometimes get the ECC event error. The bit EER in the register MCR of the

Flash Memory Array and Control module is set.

What might be the reason that I get this error. Is it problems with the supply voltage? Or can it be that data is written to the internal flash memory when the microcontroller is reseting. What are the possible scenarios?

Kind regards,

Jonas

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

davidtosenovjan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

It may be several reasons

FLASH:

- Unexpected reset during flash erase or flash program operation

- Wear out of particular flash sector = number of program/erase cycles that device’s flash is capable to withstand is exceded (in practice, real endurance is greater than specified minimum).

- Over-programming of particular flash area that is programming without erasing. It is basically software fault.

- Soft error (radiation, electro-magnetic interference, or electrical noise) during reading or executing from flash memory

SRAM:

- Uninitialized or improperly initialized SRAM memory. Note that if SRAM is not initialized fully, even in case there are no data in that area, access to data stored just before the uninitialized area can cause some issues because of prefetching (cache, pre-fetch buffer or instruction buffer)

- Soft error (radiation, electro-magnetic interference, or electrical noise)

Generally for both cases it may be caused by fault due to damage caused by running the device out of spec whatever way.

And finally ECC error may be intentionally generated by ECC error injection.

Here is the link for application note I have posted, I believe it helps you to understand ECC protection. Note that this does not deal with reasons of “real ECC faults”, rather its software detection, correction and injection:

https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-103300 

0 Kudos