Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended layer number of PCB for i.MX6SX

Jump to solution
torus1000
Contributor V

Hi,

IMX6SXHDG.pdf recommended 8 layers PCB but actual IMX6SOLOX_SABRESDB-DESIGNFILES.zip/LAY-
27962_C.brd has 6 layers.

Which one is recommended?

If IMX6SXHDG.pdf is correct, is there any sample PCB layouts? Could someone provide it?

On the other hands, I think previous board such as SABRESDB_DESIGNFILES.zip has 8 layers.

Why this board choose 6 layers instead of 8 layers?

Can anybody help me?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Actually, there is no big difference how much layers to use. The only strong rule is to meet the trace impedance requirements. Actually, both i.MX6QDL SABRE SD and i.MX6SX SABRE SD boards have the top component/signal layer, bottom component/signal layer and two internal signal layers. The difference is that the i.MX6QDL SABRE SD board has 4 power layers, whereas the i.MX6SX SABRE SD board has only two. This became possible due to smaller board size, component number and lower current consumption. In fact, the number of PCB layers is highly task, design and particular PCB manufacturer capabilities dependent.

Have a great day,
Artur

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Actually, there is no big difference how much layers to use. The only strong rule is to meet the trace impedance requirements. Actually, both i.MX6QDL SABRE SD and i.MX6SX SABRE SD boards have the top component/signal layer, bottom component/signal layer and two internal signal layers. The difference is that the i.MX6QDL SABRE SD board has 4 power layers, whereas the i.MX6SX SABRE SD board has only two. This became possible due to smaller board size, component number and lower current consumption. In fact, the number of PCB layers is highly task, design and particular PCB manufacturer capabilities dependent.

Have a great day,
Artur

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos