cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CW support for MC9S12DG256C

gerritbarrere
Contributor I

Hello all,

I'm supporting a legacy processor with an older version of CodeWarrior (CW12 v3.1) on an XP laptop.  I'm trying to get debugging going using a USB Multilink from P&E Micro, but I can't connect with the processor.  CW connects to the Multilink but I get 'FP: MpuDesc invalidated' errors and it disconnects.

I think this is because new production is using the 'DG256C version of this processor, but my CW only shows the 'DG256B version under ICD-12 / Set Derivative.  It tells me the MCUID of this derivative is 0x3D9, and I suspect the C is something different.

I see a number of derivative files in C:\Program Files\Metrowerks\CodeWarrior CW12_V3.1\prog\REG, including one named mcu03D9.reg  for the MC9S12DG256B.  It looks like all I need is the .reg file for the C version.  Can anyone help?

Many thanks,

Gerrit

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

USB Multilink interface is USB 2.0 compatible, while CW3.1 is a very old version which was released around 12 years ago. natively, it doesn't support USB2.0.

So  I suggest you use CW5.1 instead. attached is video about How to downlaod CW for HCS12 v5.1.

DG256B uses mcu03D9.reg as download algorithm. It should also work for DG256C

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

gerritbarrere
Contributor I

Thank you, Jennie.  I don't think USB 2.0 is the problem though.  My CW includes an upgrade pack 1.3 for USB 2.0 (according to the About / Installed Products screen).  I also see my debugger connects to the USB Multilink but then drops connection (see above for exact error message).

I also don't believe I have licensing for v5.1.  All I have is a license.dat file which specifies 'HC12 Professional Edition v3.1'.  There is an additional complication too -- my CW was originally licensed to a consultant who is now long gone, and I don't have the product registration code.  I am using his installation as is.

I would like to get the product registration code for my records and for the future, if that's possible.  Can I get that with my license.dat file or from my CW installation?

Gerrit

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

hi Gerrit,

CW3.1 license can not work for CW5.1.

CW5.1 special edition has 32k c code size limit, and it is free version.

I strongly recommend you download and install it. you can use it to test if it can connect with multilink well. Can your CW5.1 connect the board well?  if CW5.1 can''t connect with it either, We have to check hardware also.

Why I don't suggest use CW3.1 with USB multilink?

- CW3.1 is ten more years ago product. it's not recommended.

- as I know I have several customer who installed CW3.1+usb2.0 service pack, still can't connect USB multilink well. but with CW5.1, it works.

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

gerritbarrere
Contributor I

I may need to upgrade after all.  I can't find a brochure on what the debugger actually allows me to do, though.  Breakpoints in flash ROM?  Tracing?  Etc?

Can you point me to some sales literature for the debugger?

Thanks,

Gerrit

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

If you try to put Breakpoints into the ROM section, the program will use hardware breakpoint.

Depending to the chip you are using, you are limited of the number of Hardware breakpoints(1, 2, 3, ...).

To have more details about it, you can refer you to the Technical Note 113(TN113)

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

0 Kudos

gerritbarrere
Contributor I

Hmm, this isn't a good option for me.  My app is well over 32k, so I would have to build a test app to even be able to test the CW 5.1 evaluation version.  And the $2500 upgrade cost if it does work is not in the budget.  I will continue with "printf" debugging.

Gerrit

0 Kudos