cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User writes to SIUL fail with SMPU and peripheral bridge configured to allow

Daniel_Wax
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

If I enable SMPU protection of the peripheral regional from 0xF0000000 - 0xFFFFFFFF with user and supervisor read and write permissions and configure both peripheral bridges to permit user access to all peripherals, I expect code executing in user context to be abe to write to the SIUL peripheral to set GPIOs. Instead, I'm observing an immediate machine check exception when my code writes. Example:

The CPU takes a machine check exception on the first GPIO write and our handler reports:

MCSRR0 = 0xfd40e8 (saved address of offending instruction)

MCSR = 0xa6004 (machine check syndrome) = MAV (MCAR address valid), U (user mode), ST (store type instruction), G (guarded instruction), BUS_WRERR (write bus error on store) bits set.

MCAR = 0xfffc1304 (machine check address - valid given MCSR.MAV is set)

The instruction at address 0xfd40e8 is:

00fd40e8:   e_stb r4,4864(r9)

r9 = 0xfffc0004

r9 +4864 =  0xfffc1304 = SIUL2 GPIO Pad Data Output Register (SIUL2_GPDO4_7) and matches MCAR in machine check exception handler.

If I set a breakpoint immediately before the e_stb, the MSR is 0x202d000 with PR=1 indicating the processor is in user mode.

The SMPU error registers *before* the e_stb are:

SMPU_ERR_ADR0 = FFFFC004

SMPU_ERR_ADTL0 = 00000200

SMPU_ERR_ACDL0 = 02000080

This is an artifact of the SMPU init issue tracked in SMPU flags spurious access violation immediately after enabling. The registers remain unchanged after the e_stb, indicating the SMPU doesn't have any problem with the access which makes me suspect the Peripheral bridges or the SIUL peripheral itself is rejecting the user privilege write.

I have tried to force the peripheral bridges into a maximally permissive configuration as follows:

void PBRIDGE_init(void)
{
    AIPS_A.MPRA.R |= 0x77777000;
    AIPS_A.MPRB.R |= 0x77000000;
    AIPS_B.MPRA.R |= 0x77777000;
    AIPS_B.MPRB.R |= 0x77000000;

for (int i = 0; i < 8; i++)
    {
        // can't write to PACRE aka PACR[4]
        // see https://community.nxp.com/thread/433251
        if (i != 4)
        {
            AIPS_A.PACR[i].R = 0;
            AIPS_B.PACR[i].R = 0;
        }
    }

for (int i = 0; i < 32; i++)
    {
        AIPS_A.OPACR[i].R = 0;
        AIPS_B.OPACR[i].R = 0;
    }
}

But the write still fails. I don't see any privilege checking in the SIUL peripheral itself.

Questions:

1) Why is this user write triggering a machine check exception given the SMPU and peripheral bridge configuration should allow it?

2) Is there some other configuration I'm missing that's necessary to allow user privilege writes to the SIUL peripheral?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Daniel_Wax
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Thanks Peter..  So I worked out the bugs in my previous attached project.  This one is sound and I have tried the OPACRAB15 register and it did not work.  Even the customer tried this.

I used the debugger and manually made sure that OPACR15 is clear

Can you try again with he attached project?

What value did you use for SP7, WP7 and TP7?

for (int i = 0; i < 32; i++)
    {
        AIPS_A.OPACR[i].R = 0;
        AIPS_B.OPACR[i].R = 0;

0 Kudos

petervlna
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

I have run your program here and you still have not configured AIPS correctly.

Here is the snapshot from your code:

pastedImage_1.png

As you can see SP7 is set to 1. SP7 corresponds to SIUL2 unit.

As I wrote before. Make sure you have correctly configured AIPS bridge before you access peripherals in user mode. Otherwise you will get an exception.

If you want to access SIUL2 in user mode set SP7, WP7 and TP7 to 0.

Peter

0 Kudos

petervlna
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

I have checked your code.

If you want your code access the SUIL2 periphery in user mode you must configure AIPS OPACRB register.

Configure OPACR15 to allow user access to SIUL2 periphery.

pastedImage_1.png

I have enabled it in your code and everything works fine. No exception is called as expected.

Peter

0 Kudos

petervlna
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Could you please specify for which device is this question and which cut of device is used?

Peter

0 Kudos

Daniel_Wax
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

This is for MPC5746C but I think I have also been able to make this fail on 5748G.  You can download the project here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78955609/spmu_Z4_1.7z

this project mimics the customer's setup however I have modified it to use the second SMPU_1 of the 5748G for memory regions .  The MPC5746C only has one SMPU that covers all memories

0 Kudos