Hello all, would it be possible to build a inertial dead-reckoning position calculating device (starting from a known position) using accelerometers, gyroscope and magnetometers? Thanks for any hints.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello all, would it be possible to build a inertial dead-reckoning position calculating device (starting from a known position) using accelerometers, gyroscope and magnetometers? Thanks for any hints.

hendirkx
Contributor I

If so, what would be the highest accuracy and which components would be required?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

hendirkx
Contributor I

Hi Diego,

Thanks for directing me to applicable hard- and software. I will take a closer look at them. I understand that the accuracy will not only depend on the resolution of each sensor but also, and maybe principally, on the algorithm which fuses the sensors together.

Kind regards,

Dirk.

0 Kudos

diegoadrian
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Dirk,

For your application could be useful for you to use NXP Sensor Fusion. Sensor Fusion is a process by which data from several different sensors are fused to compute something more than could be determined by any one sensor alone. An example is computing the orientation of a device in three-dimensional space. Here you could find more information about NXP Sensor Fusion.

Sensor Fusion|NXP 

For sensing, you could use the FRDM-FXS-MULTI-B. The FRDM-FXS-MULTI-B is a sensor expansion board, that offers 12 sensing axis, and could be used by the NXP Sensor Fusion software. This board has an accelerometer, a magnetometer,  a gyroscope and a pressure sensor, all in the same board. This board could be used by the FRDM-K20D50M, FRDM-K64F, FRDM-KL25Z, FRDM-KL26Z and the FRDM-KL46Z, development platforms. This sensor expansion board, also contains a Bluetooth and SD module. Here you could have more information from this board.

Freedom Development Platform Bluetooth®|NXP 

In any case, you could use the FRDM-STBC-AGM01. The FRDM-STBC-AGM01 is a sensor shield development board that only offers 9 sensing axis, and also could be used by the NXP Sensor Fusion software. This board only has an accelerometer, a magnetometer and a gyroscope. Here you could have more information form this board.

FXAS21002C FXOS8700C 9-Axis Development Board|NXP 

I hope this information could be helpful for you.

Best regards,

Diego.

0 Kudos