Jump to solution
konradgräfe
Contributor III

Hello,

I am on a project with the Freescale MKL82Z128VMC7 SDK. As my software grew,
I hit the limitations of the internal flash and therefore moved it to run
from external (QSPI) flash.

Currently I am using the OpenSDA with J-Link firmware which cannot set
breakpoints within the QSPI address space. Is the Universal Multilink (or Universal
Multilink FX) probe able to set breakpoints within the QSPI flash?

Regards,
Konrad Gräfe
0 Kudos
1 Solution
konradgräfe
Contributor III

Thank you for your response.

I did ask P&E and got the following response:

The Cortex M0, M3, and M4 cannot set hardware breakpoints at addresses higher than 0x1000_0000.

I guess that means, that they are not able to set breakpoints in the QSPI.

As for the J-Link OpenSDA: The paragraph you cited is a bullet point under 

The firmware that makes the OpenSDA platform J-Link compatible has some limitations in contrast to an original, industry leading SEGGER J-Link:

I know that the SEGGER J-Link claims to be able to set breakpoints in the QSPI, but as it's more expensive I wanted to check-out the alternatives. However, it looks like there are none.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
miduo
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Regarding this issue, I had double checked the segger. See below:

https://www.segger.com/opensda.html

It mentioned:  Unlimited breakpoints in flash available for evaluation only. But yes, I really not sure if this work for the QSPI flash. You may contact segger directly. Anyway, I am sure that the J-Link debug probe itself supporting the QSPI flash breakpoint: https://www.segger.com/jlink-unlimited-flash-breakpoints.html

As for the Multilink FX, yes, it is support the QSPI flash programming, and as for the breakpoint, you should contact them directly.

0 Kudos
konradgräfe
Contributor III

Thank you for your response.

I did ask P&E and got the following response:

The Cortex M0, M3, and M4 cannot set hardware breakpoints at addresses higher than 0x1000_0000.

I guess that means, that they are not able to set breakpoints in the QSPI.

As for the J-Link OpenSDA: The paragraph you cited is a bullet point under 

The firmware that makes the OpenSDA platform J-Link compatible has some limitations in contrast to an original, industry leading SEGGER J-Link:

I know that the SEGGER J-Link claims to be able to set breakpoints in the QSPI, but as it's more expensive I wanted to check-out the alternatives. However, it looks like there are none.

0 Kudos