Logic diagram in datasheet of 74HC/HCT4514 correct?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logic diagram in datasheet of 74HC/HCT4514 correct?

Jump to solution
forrest
Contributor I

I use the 74HC4514 (4-to-16 line decoder/demultiplexer with input latches) in my design,

and put the logic diagram in LTSpice to simulate it.

To my surprise, it does the opposite as in the truth table on page 4 (see attached datasheet).

So A0-A3 = L L L L results in Q15 High, while A0-A3 = H H H H results in Q0 High.

On page 5 in the logic diagram, the latches have a bubble (circle) on the Sd and Rd inputs,

what does this bubble mean (why an OR port and bubble on the SR-inputs instead of a NOR port?)?

When using the OR ports (in front of latches) without inverted SR-inputs, the behaviour is as indicated in the truth table on page 4.

Attached:

- datasheet (from NXP website)

- LTSpice simulation file (.asc)

- LTSpice simulation file (.png)

Thank in advance for your reply,

Kind regards,

Robert

Original Attachment has been moved to: 74HC4514-(bubble-on-SR-inputs).asc.zip

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Bulat
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You are right, the logic diagram on page 5 (fig. 5) is not correct. However the function table on page 4 is correct and real device works exactly as per that table. The problem in fig 5 is polarity of the RS latches, Q and /Q should be reversed.

Regards,

Bulat

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Bulat
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You are right, the logic diagram on page 5 (fig. 5) is not correct. However the function table on page 4 is correct and real device works exactly as per that table. The problem in fig 5 is polarity of the RS latches, Q and /Q should be reversed.

Regards,

Bulat

forrest
Contributor I

Dear Bulat Karymov,

Thanks for your answer! Nice to discover a little mistake in a datasheet from 1993 :-).

I'll update my simulation schematic accordingly.

Kind regards,

Robert

0 Kudos