DEBUGSTR doesn't seem to work ??

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DEBUGSTR doesn't seem to work ??

randyseedle
Contributor III

Ok, I am new to this platform but shouldn't the DEBUGSTR command work ?

I have a new Embedded Artists LPC4088 QuickStart board and a LPC-Link debug probe.

The DEBUGSTR command doesn't seem to product any output.

I saw where someone recommended connecting via USB cable to connector next to the reset button.

No luck connecting with a terminal program.

I tried connecting a UART/USB converter cable. The LPC-Link did not like this at all and would not start a

debug session properly.

So how should this work ? Any ideas what I am doing wrong ?

0 Kudos
9 Replies

randyseedle
Contributor III

Unfortunetly, choosing the mbed/CMSIS-DAP probe does not work. I get the messege below and I never get to debug.

Only using the LPC-Link2 seems to connect correctly to debug.

Error in final launch sequence
Failed to execute MI command:
-target-select extended-remote | crt_emu_cm_redlink -msg-port=49832 -g -mi -2 -pLPC4088 -vendor=NXP -reset=VECTRESET -ProbeHandle=2 -CoreIndex=0 -flash-driver=LPC177x_8x_407x_8x_512.cfx -x C:/Users/Randy/Documents/LPCXpresso_8.2.0_647/workspace/webserver_freertos/Debug
Error message from debugger back end:
Remote communication error.  Target disconnected.: No error.

0 Kudos

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Debugging via an LPC-Link2 will only provide a VCOM port for those LPC-Link2 variants built into an LPCXpresso V2/V3 board, not with the standalone LPC-Link2 probe hardware.

If you want to get serial port output with the 4088 QSB you will either have to :

1) Debug using mbed/CMSIS-DAP probe built into the QSB

2) Connect your FTDI cable

But in either case, you will need to ensure that the software you are running is writing out to the same UART that is connected to your USB serial hardware. You will need to therefore check the software against the information in the board documentation available from the  board vendor, Embedded Artists, website (as per my first post).

Regards,

LPCXpresso Support

0 Kudos

randyseedle
Contributor III

Ok, I deleted the debug information under project -> properties -> run/debug -> webserver_freertos_debug and webserver_freertos_release. The next time that tried to build/debug it put up a dialog box asking which debugger to use and I chose the LPC-LINK2 CMSIS-DAP2 V5.173 . It now debugs but I still do not get any output from the DEBUGSTR commands. Is there a COM port on the LPC-LINK2 CMSIS-DAP2 V5.173 ? Any other ideas ?

PS: This PC doesn't have a native serial port; just USB ports. That is why I was trying to use the FTDI cable.

0 Kudos

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

So you have two debug probes connected, the built in "mbed CMSIS-DAP" and an external LPC-Link2 (not an LPC-Link as you originally reported). 

Please can you try debugging with only one or the other connected, not both.

And I assume that your CM232 is your FTDI cable. Please try with this disconnected too.

Regards,

LPCXpresso Support

0 Kudos

randyseedle
Contributor III

One added note. I went back to the periph_blinky project and reran it because I

knew that it had been able to debug before. It did debug. I was able to single

step through the code. So my conclusion is that the problem with

freertos_webserver is something specific to the project, not the hardware.

0 Kudos

randyseedle
Contributor III

Ok, I followed the instructions above. I removed the FTDI cable, unplugged board,

Opened "Control Panel - Devices and Printers", connected the board again to you PC, and

restarting a debug connection.

The Control Panel - Devices and Printers shows:

MBED Microcontroller USB device

C232HM-DDHSL-0

LPC-LINK2 CMSIS-DAP V5.173

MBED-CMSIS-DAP

USB_CDC with lots of Chinese characaters (also new)

And no the debug does not work. The console window displays the messege:

Failed on connect Ee(36).

Could not connect to core.
No connection to emulator device

And the details are:

-target-select extended-remote | crt_emu_cm_redlink -msg-port=51751 -g -mi -2 -pLPC4088 -vendor=NXP -reset=VECTRESET -ProbeHandle=2 -CoreIndex=0 -flash-driver=LPC177x_8x_407x_8x_512.cfx -x C:/Users/Randy/Documents/LPCXpresso_8.2.0_647/workspace/webserver_freertos/Debug
Remote communication error.  Target disconnected.: No error

Any new ideas ?

0 Kudos

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

So if you

1) unplug your board (and your FTDI cable, which is surplus to requirements if you use the build in VCOM channel of the built-in probe)

2) Open "Control Panel - Devices and Printers"

3) Then connect your board again to you PC

what, if anything, appears in "Control Panel - Devices and Printers" ?

And with your FTDI cable disconnect, does starting a debug connection now work?

Regards,

LPCXpresso Support

0 Kudos

randyseedle
Contributor III

Ok,The LPCXpresso  version is v8.2.0 . My Windows version is Windows 7.

I installed the serial port driver for mbed. My copy of Tera Term displays nothing on COM5. You can

looking in Windows Computer Management and see that COM5 are associated with the

FTDI cable that I am using. The LPCXpresso messege that I get is (with Tera Term running):

02: Failed to connect

Could not connect to core.

31. There was no connection emulator device.

(Details):

-target-select extended-remote | crt_emu_cm_redlink -msg-port=52139 -g -mi -2 -pLPC4088 -vendor=NXP -reset=VECTRESET -ProbeHandle=2 -CoreIndex=0 -flash-driver=LPC177x_8x_407x_8x_512.cfx -x C:/Users/Randy/Documents/LPCXpresso_8.2.0_647/workspace/webserver_freertos/Debug

So now it can't debug the code at all.

0 Kudos

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I'm not that familiar with this specific board, but I believe that it comes with a built in mbed style CMSIS-DAP probe. Thus you probably won't need a separate LPC-Link debug probe.

But you will probably need to installed the mbed serial port driver to get the built in CMSIS-DAP probe to work : Windows serial configuration - Handbook | mbed 

In the first place, I would suggest checking the documentation and examples for this board that Embedded Artists themselves provide, which can be found at:

LPC4088 QuickStart Board | Embedded Artists AB 

If you need further assistance, I suggest you confirm what version of LPCXpresso IDE you are using, and on which OS, how exactly you are connecting to the board, and which examples you are actually using.

Regards,

LPCXpresso Support

0 Kudos