CodeWarrior 8.3 does not stop at watchpoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CodeWarrior 8.3 does not stop at watchpoint

graemeh
Contributor I

I am trying to debug an issue on the MC56F8366 using CodeWarrior 8.3.

Before running the program, I have set a up a watchpoint to stop the debugger each time variable is written to. Initially this appears to work as the variable is written to multiple times during the program initialisation and the debugger stops at each one. On the final stop the value of the variable is set to 1.

I then run the program and there are no stops until after the issue which I am debugging has occurred. I then manually halt the program and examine the value of the variable, which has changed to 0.

For some reason the watchpoint did not trigger when it was changed. Why would this happen? Is there anything I can do to avoid it?

As far as I can see I have set up a permanent watchpoint. One thing I have tried is to clear the watchpoint on the final stop during initialisation and then set it again before restarting execution.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi

please go to IDE menu "project", "remove object code", then rebuild the project, test again. does the problem persist?

if yes, please upload your project here and let me know how to reproduce your problem step by step. I will check the problem directly. Thanks

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

graemeh
Contributor I

Hi Jennie,

Rebuilding the project from scratch does not make any difference. I have also had this issue on two different systems with different debuggers.

Unfortunately, uploading our source code will not be possible.

Are there any known conditions where the debugger would not stop at a watchpoint?

Thanks

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

How it works if you set the watchpoint at a memory address in memory window?

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

graemeh
Contributor I

Setting the watchpoint in the memory window does not work either.

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

according to DSP56800E and DSP56800EX reference manual, 11.4.3.2 Breakpoint Unit

http://www.nxp.com/files/dsp/doc/ref_manual/DSP56800ERM.pdf?fasp=1&WT_TYPE=Reference%20Manuals&WT_VE... 

there is only 1 Breakpoint Unit Block Diagram.

thus it only allows 1 hardware breakpoint or 1 watchpoint.  watchpoint uses hardware breakpoint only.

Can you please check how many breakpoints already set in your project?

if this can not help, please create a new project and see if the problem also exists. if yes, send this project here. we will look. thanks!

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

0 Kudos

graemeh
Contributor I

Thanks for your reply.

Only one watchpoint (or any type of breakpoint or eventpoint) is set. CodeWarrior does not allow me to do otherwise. As I said in the original question, the watchpoint works during program initialisation. It fails only when the problem that I am trying to debug occurs and I have not set any other watchpoints, breakpoints etc in between.

Since yesterday, I have had the watchpoint stop at the correct place, although this seems to only happen in ~10% of cases.

Creating a new project will not be an easy task, as the project that I am working on is very large. Also, the fact that the watchpoint works initially makes me think that it is unlikely to be related to the project configuration.

Is it possible that this is a problem with the OnCE debugger or the MCU itself?

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Because I never had similar problem, and I haven't heard same problem from other customer, I can't say it is the problem of OnCE debugger or the MCU itself. this need reproduce and analyses.

If I check it further, please let me know how to reproduce this problem. Thanks for your understanding.

0 Kudos