cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geting imx yocto 1.8's cross env to be used with kernel backports tool

jayakumar2
Contributor V

Hi,

I've been doing okay so far with the 3.14.28/yocto 1.8 release. I'm now looking at adding support for the wifi chip on my board which uses wl12xx. On 3.0.35/ltib, I was able to just manually apply the backported patches to the kernel and get things to work.

With yocto and 3.14.28, this looks a bit different. Firstly, I need to use the kernel backports tool ( WL18xx System Build Scripts - Texas Instruments Wiki  ) which is not part of yocto. I'm at the step that needs the setup-env. With previous versions of yocto for imx, I was able to get this from the log.do_compile logs that are generated in the build directory. But I noticed that with this version, the log is much shorter. Eg:

less ~/yocto_3.14.28-1.0.1/build/tmp/work/imx6slevk-poky-linux-gnueabi/linux-imx/3.14.28-r0/temp/log.do_compile.888

DEBUG: Executing shell function do_compile
NOTE: make -j 1 zImage CC=arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-gcc -mno-thumb-interwork -marm LD=arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-ld.bfd LOADADDR=0x80008000
scripts/kconfig/conf --silentoldconfig Kconfig

I think I can set this up manually figuring out each parameter. For example, on my setup this becomes:

export TOOLCHAIN_PATH=/home/test/yocto_3.14.28-1.0.1/build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/bin/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-gcc
export KERNEL_PATH=/home/test/yocto_3.14.28-1.0.1/build/tmp/work/imx6slevk-poky-linux-gnueabi/linux-imx/3.14.28-r0/git

But this seems error prone and messy. I was wondering if I missed an easy step that could have been done to generate the setup-env needed for kernel backports tool, or if there is an easier way to add wl12xx support.

Thanks!

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Jaya Kumar,

Your workaround would work. But as you mentioned it is error prone. Yocto is not focused on development but rather distribution, so it does not have many tools to allow for this kind of development.

However, I would recommend the following Yocto training on how to extract and use the toolchain to compile manually on tasks 7 and 8.

https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-94849

I hope this helps!

Regards,

0 Kudos