cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Booting i.MX6Q Under One Second

diego_dorta
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I've been working an image using U-Boot Falcon mode. With this technique is possible to boot i.MX6Q Sabre SD completely under one second. I recorded my results on: Booting i.MX6 Under One Second. If you want to get more details, please go to How to decrease boot time on iMX6 - i.MXDev Blog.

Labels (2)
4 Replies

JohnDoe1z
Contributor III

Very nice! As I'm also planning to use the Falcon mode soon, could you please share your U-Boot/Kernel?

Which init-system are you using? I guess it's just a plain shell, so no SysV/Busybox, SystemD or similar, right?

diego_dorta
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

As init-system I'm using the default from Poky-tiny. You can get a full image here: Dropbox - falconmode_imx6sabresd.sdcard 

For Kernel I'm using the stable version 4.7 and u-Boot I'm basing my work on master because I will upstream my patches.

Anything else you can contact me by e-mail.

qqhhqqhh
Contributor I

Oh man, It's so cool, how can you do that , could you tell us some details?

diego_dorta
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

This technique is already implemented on u-Boot. It's calls u-Boot Falcon Mode developed by Stefano Babic.
Of course there are a few more things involved, such as removing unused drivers from Kernel, also reducing the root file system to minimal size.

http://www.denx.de/wiki/pub/U-Boot/MiniSummitELCE2013/2013-ELCE-U-Boot-Falcon-Boot.pdf