Problem with reading analog acceleration sensor with ADC

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with reading analog acceleration sensor with ADC

happylifelsc
Contributor I

I have trouble in using ADC functionality in FRDM-KL46Z under Kinetis IDE. I used PTE20 (ADC0_SE0),PTE16 (ADC0_SE1),PTE18 (ADC0_SE2),to read X, Y, Z axis output of ADXL335. However, the ADC output were always 0, as the initial values were not zero. I did set the registered according to the datasheet but have no idea what happened. Please find my code below.

/*ADC.c*/
void adc_init(void)
{
   SIM_SCGC5 |= SIM_SCGC5_PORTE_MASK;
   PORTE->PCR[20] = PORT_PCR_MUX(0);
   SIM_SCGC6 |= SIM_SCGC6_ADC0_MASK;

// Initialize ADC0

Master_Adc_Config.CONFIG1  = ADLPC_NORMAL | ADC_CFG1_ADIV(ADIV_1) | ADLSMP_LONG | ADC_CFG1_MODE(MODE_10)
                              | ADC_CFG1_ADICLK(ADICLK_BUS);
  Master_Adc_Config.CONFIG2  = MUXSEL_ADCA | ADACKEN_DISABLED | ADHSC_NORMAL | ADC_CFG2_ADLSTS(ADLSTS_20) ;
  //Master_Adc_Config.COMPARE1 = 0x1234u ;
  //Master_Adc_Config.COMPARE2 = 0x5678u ;
  Master_Adc_Config.STATUS2  = ADTRG_SW | ACFE_DISABLED | ACFGT_LESS | ACREN_DISABLED | DMAEN_DISABLED | ADC_SC2_REFSEL(REFSEL_EXT);
  Master_Adc_Config.STATUS3  = CAL_OFF | ADCO_SINGLE | AVGE_DISABLED | ADC_SC3_AVGS(AVGS_4);
// Master_Adc_Config.PGA      = PGAEN_DISABLED | PGACHP_NOCHOP | PGALP_NORMAL | ADC_PGA_PGAG(PGAG_64);
  Master_Adc_Config.STATUS1A = AIEN_OFF | DIFF_SINGLE | ADC_SC1_ADCH(31);

ADC_Config_Alt(ADC0_BASE_PTR, &Master_Adc_Config);  // config ADC
}

uint16_t adc_read(uint8_t channel)
{
   ADC0_SC1A = AIEN_OFF | DIFF_SINGLE | ADC_SC1_ADCH(channel) ;     // start conversion
   while((ADC0_SC1A & ADC_SC1_COCO_MASK)!= 0){};
   return ADC0_RA;
}

/*main.c*/
int main(void)
{
        //unsigned char uartStr[10];
        unsigned int  strNumX, strNumY, strNumZ = 0;

unsigned char uLCDMsg[5] = "";
        /*initialized those values to be 1*/
        uint16_t X_value = 1;
        uint16_t Y_value = 1;
        uint16_t Z_value = 1;

//__disable_irq();

//uart_init (UART1, SYSCLK, BAUDRATE);
        SLCD_Init();
        adc_init();

//__enable_irq();

X_value = adc_read(0);
        Y_value = adc_read(1);
        Z_value = adc_read(2);

snprintf(uLCDMsg, 5, "%4d", X_value);
        SLCD_WriteMsg(uLCDMsg);
}

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Shaocheng,

- First please confirm the hardware of X, Y, Z axis output of ADXL335 have signal.

- Check the data of the register ADC0_RA .

-If the ADXL335 work well , there is ADC demo you can refer the code compare with your code :

FRDM-KL46Z|Freedom Development Platform|Kinetis MCU|NXP 

pastedImage_2.png

After download and install it, you can find the ADC demo :

kinetis_kl46_sc\kinetis_kl46_sc_rev2\klxx-sc-baremetal\src\projects\adc_demo

- Also on the KDS, if you create one Processor Expert project, there is also ADC demo :

pastedImage_3.png

Hope it helps!

Have a great day,
Alice

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

happylifelsc
Contributor I

Thank you so much Alice! The demo in "kinetis_kl46_sc\kinetis_kl46_sc_rev2\klxx-sc-baremetal\src\projects\adc_demo" really helps!!! I will go back and check what happened in my code.

BTW, I observed the printf() function in demo code, however I removed it and used uart to print on my PC instead. How can I use the printf() in the demo code please?

I have another two questions which have to do with learning KDS. 1. I realized that I cannot make things happen with only datasheet but making reference to demo codes. Is that possible only digesting the datasheet if we build project? 2. I have no knowledge about Processor Expert project. Where can I start please?

Thank you and have a nice day!

0 Kudos

Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Shaocheng,

Do you meaning the demo under kinetis_kl46_sc ?

If yes,  the demos use the UART to printf . Yon can find the printf function in the file of "printf.c",

then you can step into check using which UART:

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

- About your fist question , sorry i do not know your meaning clearly , could you please also

take some screenshot show what about the datasheet .

About the Processor Expert  , there is a User Guide in the attachment ,  i recommend you first

read the Chapter4 , it show how to create PE project . Then you can refer to the demo code i mentioned

last time .

Hope it helps

Have a great day,
Alice

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos