LPC15xx, WatchDog Timer, what is window concept?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPC15xx, WatchDog Timer, what is window concept?

richardpayne
Contributor II

I wish to implement simple WDT which basically reset the MCU in case of crash or bug (freeze).

I struggled window concept part, in any I could not find sufficient how this window work to make sense, lack of demo is the problem and why to use it. I read your manual several time and sorry I do not get it. 

Do you have something better to explain this?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Hui_Ma
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi

As the user manual mentioned about WDOG window conception below:

When a watchdog window is programmed, an early watchdog feed is also treated as a watchdog event. This allows preventing situations where a system failure may still feed the watchdog.

So using below picture as an example:

pastedImage_1.png

Fig47 is early watchdog feed issue, for the watchdog windowed mode enabled. The watchdog counter count down with watchdog clock, the counter start value is 0x2000 and Feed Window start value at 0x1200. If the watchdog counter value big that 0x1200, such as picture shows 0x1257 with a watchdog feed action, which is a early watchdog feed behavior will be treated as a watchdog event (reset or generate interrupt).

If there set the Window value to 0x2100 with watchdog counter start value 0x2000, there could not exist early watchdog feed behavior.

pastedImage_2.png

Fig 48 is the correct watchdog feed behavior. The feed action happens within Window counter (watchdog counter 0x11FC value is smaller than Window set value 0x1200 )

Wish it helps.

Have a great day,
Ma Hui
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos