Using differencing tool to compare RAppID autogenerated code

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using differencing tool to compare RAppID autogenerated code

duanemattern
Contributor III

I'm experimenting with the TRK-MCP5606B kit using CodeWarrior MCU (V10.6 Eclipse) and RAppID for peripheral setup.  Since I'm changing the peripheral functioning, I want to see the differences in the generated code, but all of the files are different because of the date/time stamp built into the Block Comments "/* */".  I typically use KDiff3, but I've also tried DiffMerge and WinMerge and I've not been able to configure any of these to ignore block comments, (and I search google for options to setup these tools, none of the options worked for multi-line comment blocks).  The "SED" script for ignoring comments only works on a single line and I need to ignore multi-line comment. 

/* ....

... */

So my question is, does anyone having a suggestion (free, without installing Perl or stripping the comments from the files using a tool like stripcmt), for ignoring block comments when doing a diff?   I'm guessing this has been done and  I'm just missing the correct filter script.

rappid

kdiff3

diff

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

duanemattern
Contributor III

I'm using SourceTree as a GIT GUI with my repo on Bitbucket.  Right now, I'm only experimenting and I don't want to muck up my repo.  I suppose I could create a branch for experimenting, but while I'm not a GIT expert, even if I used GIT for this diff-ing purpose, I'd still have to configure GIT to ignore block comments, which brings me back to the original question.

This does raise the issue of autogenerated code with date/time stamps and how to keep those files that haven't changed from having to be updated in your repo. I'm not a big fan of date/time stamps within a file for this reason.

0 Kudos

martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Duane,

maybe, you should use Git, which is quite powerful for this kind of work. Also it has strong community, which is usable if you have any problem with the tool.

Please look at the following link:

Git 

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos