Is LPCExpresso IDE for linux released incomplete?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is LPCExpresso IDE for linux released incomplete?

johanlund
Contributor I

I have dell Vostro -line laptop. I installed ubuntu 14.04 as it is in mature state I would truly love to leave the gaming platform (windows 10) behind. Let marketing pros keep XBOX (joke intended) . At uni we have PCs with ubuntu as academia isn't interested in favoring MS. I registered, downloaded IDE installer, followed instructions for an install and activated. I'm new to LPCExpresso IDE and LPCOpen stuff. A friend gave me LPCExpresso LPC1114 board so I intend to give it a try.

sudo lspci shows:

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 8087:07da Intel Corp.
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0c45:643f Microdia Dell Integrated HD Webcam
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:0129 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTS5129 Card Reader Controller
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 138a:0011 Validity Sensors, Inc. VFS5011 Fingerprint Reader
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 046d:c521 Logitech, Inc. Cordless Mouse Receiver
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0471:df55 Philips (or NXP) LPCXpresso LPC-Link
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

... so that programmer part is alive. The install of IDE  v.8.2.0 didn't show any errors. The IDE does start. But did developers quit just when internal customer requirements were nearly fulfilled? Where are the help contents, it's near empty? Where are those LPCopen libraries in new project wizard, that appear from pull-down selector, that Andy demonstrates on YouTube video? Didn't installer place them so that the IDE wizard can pick the correct one based on part selection? Those fields for chip and board show (completely) empty. How does this IDE update itself or is that not implemented? Is it just created and left for dead? I somehow got a first impression that I should complete the install manually? What are the steps? A starting point would be a blinky project that I can start stabbing for my own purposes. How to pull in some new content to try out - remember the help parts are empty? How do I update to a new version? Required information is scattered over separate websites and overlooking in nature (go back and forth an entire day). Could there be fresh up-to-date videos, separate, that show install on ubuntu (step-by-step), making the IDE environment complete (step-by-step) and importing and trying out/debugging 3rd party code (step-by-step)? I do not mind if the videos are one hour long like lectures are. Go into detail and why questions. Avoid over-polished editing. I'm interested. It's better marketing that sales pitches spilled all over can't match.

For comparison (atollic, STM32vldiscovery, windows 10) I got myself wondering live debugging of blinkig LEDs in minutes. The installer did enough. I modified that blinking rate in code. Clicked debug and I was asked to update on-board programmer firmware (that feature did work out of the box) and debugging did start. An eclipse base IDE too. So not too much different to use.

You do not have to reach unreal easy arduino IDE experience or connectors. Detailed public HOWTO files about everything on top of sales flyers?

BR,

Johan

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Johan,

Please review the documentation distributed with the LPCXpresso product. In particular, the LPCXpresso_IDE_Installation_Guide.pdf and LPCXpresso_IDE_User_Guide.pdf documents resident in your install directory.

Thanks and regards,

LPCXpresso Support

0 Kudos