Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning: 'from incompatible pointer type'

Jump to solution
armendgecaj
Contributor III

Hi all,

I am using Kinetis K60F MK60FN1M0 with CodeWarrior for MCU v10.6.

I am trying to show some text on my LCD display but i get the following warning message:

passing argument 5 of 'D4D_DrawTextRectTabAdvXY' from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]

i call the function like this:

(1)  uint8_t Text[ ] = "Hello";

(2)  D4D_ClearScreen(D4D_COLOR_SYSTEM_BCKG);

(3)  D4D_DrawTextRectXY(50, 50, 150, 150, (char*) Text, D4D_COLOR_RED, D4D_COLOR_BLACK);

In line (3) i become the warning message. According to the DRM116 - PDF from NXP 'Text' have to be a pointer to a text buffer.

Have someone any idea what i am doing wrong?

Best Regards

Armend

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
jorge_a_vazquez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Armend Gecaj

If you go to definition of D4D_DrawTextRectXY() function you can find:

#define D4D_DrawTextRectXY(x1, y1, x2, y2, buffText, colorText, colorBkgd) D4D_DrawTextRectTabXY(x1, y1, x2, y2, buffText, NULL, colorText, colorBkgd)‍

And the definition of D4D_DrawTextRectTabXY() function is:

void D4D_DrawTextRectTabXY(D4D_COOR x1, D4D_COOR y1, D4D_COOR x2, D4D_COOR y2, D4D_STRING* buffText, D4D_TAB* pTab, D4D_COLOR colorText, D4D_COLOR colorBkgd)
{
  D4D_POINT tmp_point;
  D4D_SIZE tmp_size;

tmp_point.x = x1;
  tmp_point.y = y1;

tmp_size.cx = (D4D_COOR)(x2 - x1);
  tmp_size.cy = (D4D_COOR)(y2 - y1);

D4D_DrawTextRectTab( &tmp_point, &tmp_size, buffText, pTab, colorText, colorBkgd);
}‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

where you can see that Text has to be a of type D4D_STRING*. As you can actually find D4D_STRING is a structure:

typedef struct D4D_STRING_S
{
  D4D_TCHAR *pText;                     ///< pointer to text array
  D4D_INDEX buffSize;                   ///< size of text buffer array
  D4D_FONT fontId;                      ///< index of used font
  D4D_STR_PROPERTIES *str_properties;   ///< pointer to string properties
  D4D_INDEX printLen;                   ///< Length of string that should be used (printed).
  D4D_INDEX printOff;                   ///< Offset of string that should be used (printed).
}D4D_STRING;‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

So, this is why you got the warning message, because you are from a (char *) to a D4D_STRING definition.

Hope this could helps you.
Have a great day,
Jorge Alcala

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jorge_a_vazquez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Armend Gecaj

If you go to definition of D4D_DrawTextRectXY() function you can find:

#define D4D_DrawTextRectXY(x1, y1, x2, y2, buffText, colorText, colorBkgd) D4D_DrawTextRectTabXY(x1, y1, x2, y2, buffText, NULL, colorText, colorBkgd)‍

And the definition of D4D_DrawTextRectTabXY() function is:

void D4D_DrawTextRectTabXY(D4D_COOR x1, D4D_COOR y1, D4D_COOR x2, D4D_COOR y2, D4D_STRING* buffText, D4D_TAB* pTab, D4D_COLOR colorText, D4D_COLOR colorBkgd)
{
  D4D_POINT tmp_point;
  D4D_SIZE tmp_size;

tmp_point.x = x1;
  tmp_point.y = y1;

tmp_size.cx = (D4D_COOR)(x2 - x1);
  tmp_size.cy = (D4D_COOR)(y2 - y1);

D4D_DrawTextRectTab( &tmp_point, &tmp_size, buffText, pTab, colorText, colorBkgd);
}‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

where you can see that Text has to be a of type D4D_STRING*. As you can actually find D4D_STRING is a structure:

typedef struct D4D_STRING_S
{
  D4D_TCHAR *pText;                     ///< pointer to text array
  D4D_INDEX buffSize;                   ///< size of text buffer array
  D4D_FONT fontId;                      ///< index of used font
  D4D_STR_PROPERTIES *str_properties;   ///< pointer to string properties
  D4D_INDEX printLen;                   ///< Length of string that should be used (printed).
  D4D_INDEX printOff;                   ///< Offset of string that should be used (printed).
}D4D_STRING;‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

So, this is why you got the warning message, because you are from a (char *) to a D4D_STRING definition.

Hope this could helps you.
Have a great day,
Jorge Alcala

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos