cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QSPI booting from Micron NOR flash

ramanjineyuluth
Contributor II

Hi,

Can any one tell me how to implement NOR flash driver in U-boot source code. Currently am booting from SDCARD but now i have to change booting from NOR flash. NOR flash chip is connected to QSPI lines.

Please tell me how to implement it and test it.

Thanks & Regards,

Ramanjineyulu.

0 Kudos
9 Replies

gary_bisson
Senior Contributor III

Hi,

What's your CPU? i.MX6SX, iMX7D?

Regards,

Gary

0 Kudos

ramanjineyuluth
Contributor II

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your reply.

I am using S32V234 processor.

I have to implement QSPI driver for Micron NOR flash and booting from it.

Give me some suggestion how to implement it.

Thanks,

Ram.  

0 Kudos

gary_bisson
Senior Contributor III

Hi Ram,

This section of the forum is about the i.MX family processors. I think you should ask that question somewhere else:

https://community.nxp.com/community/s32 

Regards,

Gary

0 Kudos

ramanjineyuluth
Contributor II

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry I have posted it in I.MX family processors. You have good understanding about booting from QSPI with NOR flash.

I have a one question how processor is reading NOR flash chip ID. U-boot source code, in which file processor is detecting the NOR chip. Can you Please send me u-boot source file how processor is communicating with NOR flash.

I will try to understand it and implement our custom board.

Please help me on this.

Thanks a lot for your support.

Thanks & Regards,

Ramanjineyulu.

0 Kudos

gary_bisson
Senior Contributor III

Hi,

Yes I have an understanding of how the i.MX BootROM accesses the SPI NOR. But this most likely doesn't apply to your processor (IVT header, DCD table etc...), therefore I can't help you much. Please ask the question to the S32 people, they will help you.

You should have a Technical Reference Manual provided for that processor which should provide you with all the details about BootROM and NOR booting.

Regards,

Gary

0 Kudos

ramanjineyuluth
Contributor II

Hi Gary,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I have gone through the Manual, I found

BOOT_CFG1[7:6]             Boot Device

00                                       QuadSPI Serial Flash Memory

01                                        Reserved

10                                        SD/eSD

11                                         MMC/eMMC

Can you please explain in U-boot how to change BOOT_CFG.

Just now I have seen qspi_driver.c file is there in U-boot source code, but in that driver I have to add my Micron Serial NOR flash chip details to detect the chip.

I am sorry again and again am asking you. It is very urgent work, I have to update with in a week.

Please help on this.

Thanks & Regards,

Ramanjineyulu. 

0 Kudos

gary_bisson
Senior Contributor III

Hi,

There's nothing to set in U-Boot since the BootROM needs to read the U-Boot binary before being able to execute it. So modifying U-Boot doesn't help the BootROM.

The BOOT_CFG[7:6] are actual pins going out of the SoC. You should have a DIP Switch on your board that allows to control the BOOT_CFG GPIO values. In order to check that, you need the schematics of your board.

Regards,

Gary

0 Kudos

ramanjineyuluth
Contributor II

Hi Gary,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Can you please tell me how to get device id for Micron NOR flash(external FLASH).

I think first we need  to copy the uboot image to external FLASH and it starts booting. To copy uboot image the chip is initailized at u-boot level.

Instead of Booting from NOR flash, I have to check the Hardware is working fine or not.

In U-boot source code we have to powerup the external NOR flash after that through application program we have to initialize the NOR flash, Erase flash and write and read operation is done.

Thanks,

Ram.

0 Kudos

ramanjineyuluth
Contributor II

Hi Gary,

Good morning.

Sorry, this question is not relevant to above discussion.

I am working on linux source code, In this kernel source code we have added some drivers for our board.

I have tried to copy configuration file(<board>_config) to some other name(ownlinuxconfig).

Eg: cp arch/<ARCH>/configs/<boardName>_defconfig ownlinuxconfig

EWhen i run "make ownlinuxconfig" am getting the below error.

make[1]: Nothing to be done for 'ownlinuxconfig'.

Can you please help on this how to create our own configuration file instead of board specific configuration file.

Thanks & Regards,

Ramanjineyulu.

0 Kudos