Installing Program Image via MFG2 Tool

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Program Image via MFG2 Tool

aliismail
Contributor IV

I have gone through the attached documents to figure out how to install an image using the mfg2 tool. I am confused about why and if I have to modify my kernel and bootloader in order to download them to the SD card. Is this required? Can I simply modify the  ucl2.xml file to load my kernel, kernel files, and bootloader files? Or do I have to modify the files described in Manufactoring Tool V2 Linux or Android.... in order to use the mfg tool to install my image?

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

aliismail
Contributor IV

Finally got this to work. It turns out there are two folder "files" and "firmware" that are in the mfg2 tool working directory. Mfg tool looks in the "firmware" folder for your custom image built to be used in mfg2tool and it looks in the "files" folder for your custom image. I found that I did not have to compile my u-boot for mfg tool so I just used my original. As for the kernel, follow along in the "Manufactoring Tool V2 Linux or Android" document. Everything will be easy to follow except for one instruction where it asks you to  "build in mass storage gadget class driver". In menuconfig you can find this driver under Device Drivers->USB Support->USB Gadget Support->USB Gadget Drivers. Make this built in (i.e. put a asterisk). Then go into that driver and choose mass storage gadget. Save everything and this should create a .config file in tmp/work/<your device>/linux-imx/<build #>/build. You can use this to patch your defconfig file and rebuild everything. This should get it going hopefully!

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ali

ucl2.xml file can be changed as mfg tools runs small
linux image and linux commands can be executed from xml file.
Default mfg tools firmware is generated for i.MX6 reference boards,
so if customer uses different board configuration, like different memory,
pmic, mfg tools firmware should be rebuilt accounting for these changes.

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

aliismail
Contributor IV

Do you know where I might be able to find the source for the scm qwks board mfg build? I am following along the MFGTool2 Linux or Android Guide and I want to make sure I am not missing anything. For example, is there a mx6dqscmqwks_mfg.h file? 

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

NXP Micro · GitHub 

Updates and Patches (1)
SCM-i.MX 6Dual/6Quad Manufacturing Toolkit for Linux 3.14.52 Patch Release (REV 1)
http://www.nxp.com/products/single-chip-modules/quick-start-board-for-scm-i.mx-6dq:QWKS-SCM-IMX6DQ?f...

0 Kudos

aliismail
Contributor IV

Hi Igor,

I already have the tool downloaded for the SCM QWKS board, however, I was curious about the source. For example, what files were used to compile the /firmware/u-boot-imx6dqscm-1gb-qwks-rev2_sd.imx? I'm hoping if I have the source files, I can use it to compile my own bootloader. 

0 Kudos

louisthiery
Contributor I

Hi Ali

You can see all the Freescale source code for the u-boot branches here. I believe the branch you are interested in is here.

Best,

Louis

0 Kudos

aliismail
Contributor IV

So I did a fresh install of all the source 3.14.52 and did a "bitbake fsl-image-mfgtool-initramfs". When I looked at the uboot source, the header file in {u_boot_root}\include\configs looks exactly like the header file if I did a "bitbake fsl-image-gui". So I am under the impression that the u-boot-imx is already configured for the mfg tool? Is this correct or am I way off? If I am way off, is there an updated "MFGTool2 Linux or Android Firmware Dev Guide" that will show me how to modify u-boot so it can be loaded by mfg tool?

0 Kudos