MPC8313 USB device attach after a power cycle

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MPC8313 USB device attach after a power cycle

heathdowling
Contributor II

We have been using the MPC8313 for many years without any issue but recently it seems we have been seeing many instances when power cycling our device, as soon as the 8313 starts to power-up it will pull-up D+, D- or both, causing our host PC to try to enumerate to it.  The problem seems to be dependent on how quickly you power cycle the device or in other words, how long you allow the power to decay before applying full power again.  If I immediately turn on the device after it powering it off, on a 'bad' machine,. it will pull D+/D- high, but if I let the power decay for 30-40 seconds before turning it back on, the problem doesn't happen.  Normally, our FW will wait until the device fully boots before setting the RS bit in the USB command register to connect to the host PC.  Our board does have a power-on reset chip to insure that the processor is never running unless the power is above the minimum threshold.

This is occurring on boards that have been built this year and have silicon revision v2.1...  I looked at an older product (4-5 years old) which also had v2.1 silicon and has the same power supplies/power sequencing as the boards built today and it does not exhibit the problem.

Does anyone have any insight on this issue?

Thanks,

Heath

0 Kudos
2 Replies

heathdowling
Contributor II

Hi Pavel, thank you for your comments.  200mS after power has been removed, the 3 processor supplies (3.3V, 1.8V & 1.0V) all are under 400mV.  The 3.3V supply takes about 4 seconds total to get to 0V while the 1.8V takes 1 second & the 1.0V supply takes 40mS.  I don't think we are violating this requirement.  I'm assuming that there must some charge within the chip that drains much more slowly.

Regards,

Heath

0 Kudos

Pavel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Typical requirement for power supply is the following:

"The power-down cycle must complete such that power supply values are below 0.4 V before a new power-up cycle can be started.”

This recommendation can be applied to the MPC8313.

Test your board using this power-down/power-up sequence.

Have a great day,
Pavel Chubakov

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos