Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MKW40 debug without PTA2 reset pin

Jump to solution
michaele
Contributor II

Hello,

is it possible to download and debug software in KDS when the PTA2 is not configured as RESET_b?
In the flash option register FTFA_FOPT, RESET_PIN_CFG is set to 0 to disable the reset funcion, cause I need the PIN for GPIO functionality.

I am using the Segger J-LINK Debugger.

Greetings,

Michael

Labels (1)
1 Solution
santiago_lopez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Michael,

It is possible but you are going to have a hard time doing it. The debugger uses the reset pin to set the MCU in a known state before downloading the firmware or attaching for debug. If you disable the reset pin, you have to make sure that the MCU is in reset state before downloading the code (which is done by power cycling the MCU right before the debugger attempts to attach). This is something hard to do since it requires synchronization between the debugger and how fast you are powering the board.

My recommendation for you is debug your application excluding the part of the application that requires the RESET pin and until everything else is working disable the RESET pin. Also, if there are other pins that you can use a multiplexor with that could be handy too.

Saludos

Santiago Lopez – Systems Engineering

View solution in original post

2 Replies
santiago_lopez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Michael,

It is possible but you are going to have a hard time doing it. The debugger uses the reset pin to set the MCU in a known state before downloading the firmware or attaching for debug. If you disable the reset pin, you have to make sure that the MCU is in reset state before downloading the code (which is done by power cycling the MCU right before the debugger attempts to attach). This is something hard to do since it requires synchronization between the debugger and how fast you are powering the board.

My recommendation for you is debug your application excluding the part of the application that requires the RESET pin and until everything else is working disable the RESET pin. Also, if there are other pins that you can use a multiplexor with that could be handy too.

Saludos

Santiago Lopez – Systems Engineering

michaele
Contributor II

Hi Santiago,

thank you very much for your excellent feedback :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos