AnsweredAssumed Answered

MQX FFS Error handling in case of NANDFLASHERR_ERASE_FAILED

Question asked by Stefan Haase on Aug 24, 2016
Latest reply on Aug 26, 2016 by Daniel Chen

Hello,

While investigating about the error handling capabilities of the FFS wear level layer in MQX 4.2.0.2 I stumble about an issue.

The theoretical case is as follows:

If the FFS wants to erase a block it will turn to the BSP NFC driver implementation in mqx/io/nandflash/nfc/nfc.c : nfc_erase_block() function. In case the NAND chip failed to execute successfully the Erase Block command, this function returns NANDFLASHERR_ERASE_FAILED.

I noticed that the FFS is transforming NANDFLASHERR_* codes to its own error codes in ffs/source/wearleveling/rtos/mqx/errcode.cpp : os_err_code_to_wl().

For NANDFLASHERR_ERASE_FAILED the conversion is done to ERROR_DDI_NAND_ERASE_FAILED.

I wonder why can't find any usage of this particular error code - using grep on FFS sources.

Even not on place where I would expected it!

E.g. in Mapper::getBlock() (file: ffs/source/wearleveling/ddi/mapper/mapper.cpp) :

/* As well as setting the bit, erase physical block. */
        Block block(*pu32PhysBlkAddr);
        if (!block.isErased())
        {
            /*
            ** If the erase fails, then loop again and try again with another block. We have
            ** already marked the bad block as used in the phy map, so we just need to mark the
            ** block itself as bad.
            */

rtCode = block.erase();
            if (rtCode == ERROR_DDI_NAND_HAL_WRITE_FAILED)
            {
                /* This will mark the block used in the phymap again, but not a big deal. */
                handleNewBadBlock(block);
            } /* Endif */
        } /* Endif */

In the above snippet at line 10 the result of the block erase command is returned and instead of checking against ERROR_DDI_NAND_ERASE_FAILED, the check is made with ERROR_DDI_NAND_HAL_WRITE_FAILED and will result in marking the block as bad.

I failed to find any path of execution that block.erase() returns ERROR_DDI_NAND_HAL_WRITE_FAILED.

So, I'm fearing about a block gets never marked as bad block by FFS.

Best Regards,

Stefan

Outcomes