Yaw Drift with 9DOF

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yaw Drift with 9DOF

jeremygilbert
Contributor I

I am observing heading (yaw) drift with a sensorfusion configuration and sensitivity loss. My application is a simple compass, based on the Teensy 3.2 platform with 9DOF NXP sensors. I see high performance tracking orientation during the first few minutes, but inevitably the heading starts to drift after a few minute of operation, and doesn't reset even when the test rig is moved around (as suggested by other threads.) I often see the system settled into behavior of slowly increasing or decreasing heading.

Based on the other threads here, I see others have seen yaw issues although I don't understand the explanation given (which seems to range from gyro noise to lack of gravity correction factors on rotation perpendicular to the direction of gravity.)

Is this really the expected behavior?  Shouldn't the magnetometer generally act to guide back any gyro drift?

I'm happy to provide source code but I'm pretty much using raw examples with very little changed.

Calibration has no effect on this.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

michaelestanley
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Yaw drift is usually associated with 6-axis accel + gyro Kalman filter.  You are correct that if you are using the 9-axis algorithm, it should be stabalized by the magnetometer.  You mention that you are running on a Teensy platform.  Do you have the ability to communicate with the Sensor Fusion Toolbox?  It is useful for tracking down issues like this.

Mike

0 Kudos