cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IAP OR ISP?

alinikfarjam
Contributor II

Hi all,

my final project is designing a ethernet Bootloader for LPC1768, so that the firmware through Ethernet can be updated.

So far i wrote a code and i can store a string in flash using ethernet and IAP.

i have two questions, please advise me if you know the solution.

1. For the final porpuse, i mean updating firmware through ethernet, should i use iap or isp?

2. in both case  firmware in which form must be sent? ( for example HEX file, Binary File or UUencode or ?)

Thamk You

3 Replies

soledad
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Please check the application note AN10744: Ethernet secondary ISP bootloader. This application note will use Ethernet as an example for developing the secondary bootloader. The code was tested using the LPC2378 and the Keil’s MCB2300 evaluation board. This code can be easily modified to work with LPC23xx and LPC24xx series microcontrollers that have an enabled Ethernet block.

http://www.nxp.com/documents/application_note/AN10744.pdf 

This may help and clarifies your doubts.

Have a great day,
Sol

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

martin_maurer
Contributor III

Please read the "User Manual" :smileyalert: of LPC1768 more carefully. There are a lot hints inside, otherwise it will not work.

Also search Internet/NXP forum for questions about IAP, Bootloader, ...

ISP is mainly used for downloading from PC via serial port, e.g. via Flash Magic. Regular firmware (flashed before) is not running and is most of the time replaced by a new one. Is over serial port wants uuencoded data.

IAP is used, when you want to write own data into flash. Data can also be a new application or a new bootloader into flash. With IAP functions you use binary data (not hex nor uuencoded data). Pay attention that a certain SRAM area must be kept free to be used by IAP. There are other things to pay attention to like disabling interrupts or possibly moving executable code to RAM before deleting/writing new pgm data, otherwise you are cutting the tree you are sitting on...

Also look for bootloader examples, not limited to Ethernet, but also other peripherals.

Search for AN10866 ( http://www.nxp.com/documents/application_note/AN10866.pdf )

alinikfarjam
Contributor II

Hi Martin,

thanks for your reply and your helpful hints.

As i said i alredy wrote a code and i can send a normal word through Ethernet with TCP socket and i can store the word in a specified location of flash.

in this place i have 2 problems, first most of time after sending a data, the program hanged because of overflow error.

Second, according to your hinwise should i send the file in binary form or first sending in Hex form then decode it to binary form.

thanks again

0 Kudos