Help bringing up custom LS1 board

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help bringing up custom LS1 board

guytadi
Contributor I

I've built a custom board using LS1022A rev 2.0. It is very basic - CPU, DDR3, QSPI Flash, Ethernet, UART. I intend to boot Linux from QSPI flash. I have LS1021ATWR reference board, CW, and CW-TAP and have the LS1021ATWR board up and running using default factory settings and image. What steps do you I need to take to get my custom board going?

Some background first:

I have some experience working with Yocto on BeagleBone, but still learning and consider myself relatively new at this but once I get the basics I’m usually good at making progress.

I’m not looking for very detailed how-to or a tutorial, just general pointers to get me started so that I start asking specific questions when I get stuck. I’ve read the HRM and guides accompanying the LT1021ATWR board so I have a general understanding of the environment. My RCW bootstrap pins are set appropriately for my custom hardware. I’m aware about details like the need for qspi byte swapping, rev 1.0 die bug, Linux SDK, etc. I’m not worried about such details for now. So, my basic questions are:

1. How do I create the correct RCW for my custom environment? Will the Configuration tool in CW help, reuse RCW bin from LS1021ATWR even though it will have many options I don't need, or I have to go bit by bit to manually define every RCW field?
  2. Once I have my RCW bin how do I get it into QSPI flash? Do I have to program this using external flash programming tool or it is possible to do so through JTAG via the LS1 target?
  3. How do I get U-boot into QSPI flash? Once I have U-boot I’ll figure out how to get the Kernel and RFS.
  4. Is CW helpful at all in configuring and booting Linux on my platform?
  5. Will life be any easier if I add an SD card? I don’t need SD card in my final product.
  6. Would it be easier to start with Bareboard project in CW first before I even consider Linux boot?

Thanks for your help.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

ufedor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

1) Use PBL component of the QorIQ Configuration and Validation Suite installed with CodeWarrior:

CodeWarriorNetworked Applications : QCVS|NXP

QCVS PBL Tool User Guide:

Submit Form

2-3) Use CodeWarrior Flash Programmer which is capable to program SPI Flash devices - refer to the CodeWarrior documentation.

CodeWarrior FP training:

CodeWarrior Flash Programmer|NXP

4) Linux configuring is performed by means of the SDK. Deployment is performed using U-Boot.

5) It is up to the board designer.

6) It could be considered as a bring-up step.

0 Kudos