How do I modify the i.MX 6SoloX FreeRTOS BSP Hello World example to make it work with my board?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I modify the i.MX 6SoloX FreeRTOS BSP Hello World example to make it work with my board?

m4l490n
Contributor V

Hello everybody.

I was reading the Getting Started with FreeRTOSTM BSP for i.MX 6SoloX document and It just explains how to build the demo applications. I know that it is a starting guide and I can't expect much from it other that what it contains. Nevertheless any of the other documents included explain how to "adapt" or in other words, how to modify a demo for porting it to another board as a real starting point into creating custom M4 applications.

The getting started guide is just some explanations about what are the files and folder structure of the BSP but it doesn't explain what to change if needed. So I assumed that since I'm using the same i.MX 6SoloX processor and the only difference is the UART port I'm using vs the UART port that the "Hello World" demo uses, then by just simply changing the port it would work, but it doesn't Smiley Sad

Here is what I did:

First I changed in the board.h file from the following:

#define BOARD_DEBUG_UART_RDC_PDAP             rdcPdapUart2

#define BOARD_DEBUG_UART_BASEADDR             UART2

#define BOARD_DEBUG_UART_IRQ_NUM              UART2_IRQn

#define BOARD_DEBUG_UART_HANDLER              UART2_Handler

To the following:

#define BOARD_DEBUG_UART_RDC_PDAP             rdcPdapUart4

#define BOARD_DEBUG_UART_BASEADDR             UART4

#define BOARD_DEBUG_UART_IRQ_NUM              UART4_IRQn

#define BOARD_DEBUG_UART_HANDLER              UART4_Handler

And in the pin_mux.c file I added the following along with the already existing UART2 iomux config:

case UART4_BASE:

// UART4 iomux configuration

IOMUXC_SW_MUX_CTL_PAD_SD2_DATA0 = IOMUXC_SW_MUX_CTL_PAD_SD2_DATA0_MUX_MODE(7); /* Rx */

IOMUXC_SW_MUX_CTL_PAD_SD2_DATA1 = IOMUXC_SW_MUX_CTL_PAD_SD2_DATA1_MUX_MODE(7); /* Tx */

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_SD2_DATA0 = IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_SD2_DATA0_PKE_MASK |

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_SD2_DATA0_PUE_MASK |

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_SD2_DATA0_PUS(2)   |

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_SD2_DATA0_SPEED(2) |

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_SD2_DATA0_DSE(6)   |

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_SD2_DATA0_SRE_MASK |

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_SD2_DATA0_HYS_MASK;

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_SD2_DATA1 = IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_SD2_DATA1_PKE_MASK |

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_SD2_DATA1_PUE_MASK |

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_SD2_DATA1_PUS(2)   |

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_SD2_DATA1_SPEED(2) |

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_SD2_DATA1_DSE(6)   |

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_SD2_DATA1_SRE_MASK |

IOMUXC_SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_SD2_DATA1_HYS_MASK;

IOMUXC_UART4_IPP_UART_RXD_MUX_SELECT_INPUT = IOMUXC_UART4_IPP_UART_RXD_MUX_SELECT_INPUT_DAISY(4);

break;

These changes were made because I'm using port 4.

Then I executed the build.sh script for the "Hello World" demo.

~/FreeRTOS_BSP_1.0.0_iMX6SX/examples/imx6sx_sdb_m4/demo_apps/hello_world/armgcc $ ./build_release.sh

Then I took the .bin file, changed the name to m4-freertos.bin, and flashed it to my eMMC card via imx_usb_loader and utp_com because I don't have a sd card in the system.

Then I executed the steps in the 6.1 Running application on TCM with U-Boot section in the Getting Started with FreeRTOSTM BSP for i.MX 6SoloX document and I got the following:

=> fatload mmc 1:7 0x80000000 m4-freertos.bin

reading m4-freertos.bin

13584 bytes read in 12 ms (1.1 MiB/s)

=> dcache flush

=> cp.b 0x80000000 0x7F8000 0x8000

=> dcache flush

=> bootaux 0x7F8000

## Starting auxiliary core at 0x007F8000 ...

=>

But nothing happens in the CORTEX M4 serial terminal.

Also this post i.mx6 solox for dummies  doesn't work for me since I'm not using bare metal nor QSPI.

Where can I find a tutorial or example or anything that helps to understand the necessary steps to take in order to create a cortex M4 application, or modify a demo, and "launch" it from u-boot?

I could try this change in the SABRESD board and it's working, I'm getting the "Hello world" string in UART4 so indeed these are the only changes required. What I don't understand is why this is not working on my custom board.

Thanks!!

Message was edited by: Manuel Malagon Update with the status of my tests.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

erikfriedel
Contributor III

Hi Manuel,

I'm using the i.MX7S on a custom board and I have exactly the same problem. Have you found out a solution yet?

0 Kudos

m4l490n
Contributor V

erikfriedel‌, unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it work. After struggling a lot with this and not getting the necessary help we decided to move on and not implementing what we were going to implement on the M4. So it is sitting there doing nothing.

0 Kudos

erikfriedel
Contributor III

m4l490n‌, if I get you correct, than you modified the board.h and pin_mux.c files. Here is the problem: You also have to set the uart to 4 in the clock_freq.c file, otherwise the uart got no clock. That works for me.

I overlooked this entry a few times while using "grep -nir 'uart' ", because there are only 3 lines that contain the needed uart.

0 Kudos

jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

pastedImage_0.png

please check your daisy chain setting for the UART_RXD_MUX_SELECT_INPUT

0 Kudos

m4l490n
Contributor V

Thanks jimmychan​ for helping.

But that is only for the Rx pin right, I mean, I still would have to see something in my terminal because Tx is configured correctly. Please help me, this is being a nightmare, I just can't make it work :smileysad:. I've been on this for two weeks now and I'm starting to pull my hair out in despair.

Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos

FreeRTOS_org
Contributor IV

I am not familiar with the document you are referencing, so perhaps my answer will miss the mark, or otherwise not be specific enough to your booting method, but there is some information on starting or adapting a FreeRTOS project on the following links:

Creating a new RTOS project

FreeRTOS - Porting a FreeRTOS demo to a different hardware platform

0 Kudos

m4l490n
Contributor V

Richard thanks for helping.

The FreeRTOS port is already created, in fact there are multiple demos in the demos folder of the i.MX6 FreeRTOS BSP. The problem I have is that following the instructions provided in the documents is not enough to port those examples to another boards.

0 Kudos