What is THE proper way to copy a project to a new version?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is THE proper way to copy a project to a new version?

Jump to solution
bpaehr
Contributor IV

I want to freeze my current version of my project at "TST_C.0.0.0", copy it to "TST_C.0.0.1", and continue making changes to "TST_C.0.0.1".    In my copying attempts, and subsequent debugging sessions of "TST_C.0.0.1", I end up seeing references to "TST_C.0.0.0" in those sessions, which probably means there's some cross-referencing between the two versions.  I have tried looking up similar questions by other people on this forum, but have not been able to adequately generate a stand-alone new project (based on the old project) that does not have errors or otherwise does not have these backwards references.

What is THE proper way to copy a project to a new project so that I can make changes to the new Version without references to the old Version?  As I am fairly new to CodeWarrior (V10.6.4), full detailed steps would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Labels (1)
1 Solution
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Almost. You can remove/delete it from your workspace. Later, when you want it back, you can unzip it into your workspace, then use File > Import > Import existing project into workspace to re-import it.

This will open the project inside your workspace (no need to open main.c).

Erich

View solution in original post

9 Replies
appCoder
Contributor II

I have been doing this fine for several years. I first exit CW, copy the project folder with a new name. Then rename the project file name.Launch the project and rebuild. Seems to work fine.

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi William,

yes, as long you do not want to have the debug configurations copied too. The problem is that in Eclipse the project framework and the debug framework are not much connected, so if you copy the project on the project framework side it won't get copied in the debug framwork side.

Erich

0 Kudos
bpaehr
Contributor IV

I assume, then, that if I do make a frozen version and archive it, it can be removed from my normal Workspace folders, but if I have to resurrect that specific version in the future, I only need to un-archive it, place the folder back in my Workspace, and then open main.c from that project to be able to work with that project as it WAS back then?  If so, I think the make-the-frozen-archived-version-and-continue-with-changes-in-the-existing/present-version (but update the Version numbers) should work ok.

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Almost. You can remove/delete it from your workspace. Later, when you want it back, you can unzip it into your workspace, then use File > Import > Import existing project into workspace to re-import it.

This will open the project inside your workspace (no need to open main.c).

Erich

bpaehr
Contributor IV

Ugh! It's hard to believe that this can't be done easily as part of a normal version-to-version process.  Does everyone who uses the Eclipse CodeWarrior have to always go through excessive file and configuration modifications when they freeze a software version, but then have to make a new version?

If the COPY is made as a frozen-in-time copy, can the present/existing version that the copy was made from be easily changed to reflect that it is now the NEXT version, in which changes can be made?

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Bob,

I'm using version control systems (Git, CVS) for a version-to-version process. Maybe I have misunderstood you, but a 'copy' for a version-to-version process sounds not the right thing to me. Making a copy of a project (as outlined in the above articles) is not difficult once the underlying connections are understood. And if you do not care about the debugger settings that much, it is even easier.

And if it is only about freezing a software, then simply make an archive/zip file (I think this is what you refer as 'frozen in time version'). And yes, you could continue to evolve the version, and you still have the 'backup' version of that project.

To my point above: using a version control system is the state-of-the-art these days in my opinion, and it is very easy as Eclipse includes (or can include) multiple different systems, with Git just one of it.

I hope this helps,

Erich

PS: I'm using Git several years now with CodeWarrior and other Eclipse IDE's. In case this is something new, maybe have a look at Git - Git Basics

0 Kudos
bpaehr
Contributor IV

Thanks for your answers, Erich!

0 Kudos
bpaehr
Contributor IV

These two links:

http://mcuoneclipse.com/2012/10/21/copy-my-codewarrior-project/

http://mcuoneclipse.com/2012/03/17/copy-my-project/

that were mentioned in another post seem to be hard to follow.  Isn't there an easier way?

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Bob,

the thing is (as outlined in above articles) that Eclipse copies the project and files, but not the 'internals' of the launch configurations. Plus links are copied as links, and not the files. So I'm affraid that there is really no simple way especially for the launch and debug configurations.

Erich

0 Kudos