cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programming LPC 1768 stamp board

sivakumar_s_k_k
Contributor II

Hi All,

I am new to the LPC series. I have got a mbed-Xpresso Baseboard and a LPC 1768 Stamp board. I would like to program the stamp board using ISP with Flash Magic. Could anyone tell me what kind of interface is required to connect the USB of the computer to the LPC stamp for programming. How the pins are layed out?

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

sivakumar_s_k_k
Contributor II

Hi Brendon,

Thanks. As you said I had gone through the user manual and now I have a fair Idea of how the ISP programming works.

But still I am confused with the type of the USB to serial cable to be used. Can I use any FTDI cable and use only the 3 pins (TX, RX, GND) to the respective pins in the P1 connector. Some web pages suggest to use a USB to serial adapter board which performs more closely to an RS232.

If possible could you please share a link to one of the types of the cable that can be used.

Regards,

Siva

0 Kudos

DavidS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Siva,

I have done exactly as you say multiple times.  Use TX/RX/GND to the Serial2USB cable from FTDI successfully.

USB TTL Serial

Specific cable is:

TTL-232R-3V3

pastedImage_1.png

5V version of cable also works.

Regards,

David

sivakumar_s_k_k
Contributor II

Hi David/Brendon,

Thanks a ton.

This is exactly what I was looking for.

Regards,

Siva

0 Kudos

brendonslade
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Which stamp board do you have? Do you mean the LPC1768 mbed board?

ARM mbed LPC1768 Board|NXP

If so, that board is designed for drag-and-drop programming over USB. The device appears as a mass storage device and you drop the firmware image onto it in a file explorer window to flash the target (see https://developer.mbed.org/platforms/mbed-LPC1768/)

If its another stamp board with the UART exposed and an ISP boot option then a USB to serial cable like those available from FTDI should provide what you need. Its not possible to check the UART hook ups without knowing what board you have.

0 Kudos

sivakumar_s_k_k
Contributor II

Hi Brendon,

Thanks for your reply.

I have purchased the one from the below link.

NGX Technologies Online Store

Along with the base board below.

NGX Technologies Online Store

How do I hook up the FTDI cable to the stamp board. Could you please help me with this?

Regards,

Siva

0 Kudos

brendonslade
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

You need to read chapter/section 32.2 of the LPC176x User Manual. This will explain what happens when ISP boot mode runs.

In ISP boot mode the device will boot via UART0. The board you are using doesn't come from NXP, but a quick look at the schematic on the NGX site shows UART0 (RXD0/TXD0) is brought out to the P1 connector. You will need to connect your USB to serial there to use Flash Magic.