Why Does the Kinetis K26 micro flash fail in 2 specific sectors consistently.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Does the Kinetis K26 micro flash fail in 2 specific sectors consistently.

ericdurst
Contributor I

Hello,

I've now had 2 micros fail in the exact same flash sector without approaching the erase cycle limit. To be fair, I haven't kept track of how many erase cycles I've done, but It would definitely be between 100 to 200 flash erase cycles.

The flash sectors that fail are located at 0xFE000 and 0x1FE000.

I get a FPVIOL error when I try to erase these sectors.

It appears only the first 16 bytes are failing.

What might cause this? Is there a known mask issue? did I get unlucky twice?

Let me know if more information is required.

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks.

Eric

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

ericdurst
Contributor I

The issue appears to be related to the K65f180m "flash_demo" project for IAR IDE.

I've run the demo reconfigured for a K26 on our board.

In the demo, we erase a part of the upper pflash block (/w verification) ( 0xFE000 - 0x100000).

Later in the demo, we swap the flash blocks (0,1 -> 2,3).

In our application, erasing any of the first sixteen bytes of the 0xFE000 sector while the SWAP bit of FTFE_FCNFG register is SET causes the FPVIOL flag of the FTFE_FSTAT register to trigger.

I'm not going to put any more time into this as it does not effect our application when we do not run the demo application.

We also do not use the flash swap feature.

Thanks,

Eric

0 Kudos

egoodii
Senior Contributor III

Turning on the 'swap' function TAKES OVER the indicated phrase in such block in EACH HALF of memory space.  You are NO LONGER 'free' to erase/write any part of those phrases.

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your sharing,

And I was wondering if you can tell me the exactly chip number of K26 you use.
Have a great day,
Ping

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos