cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Manufacturing Tool failing to flash

Jump to solution
michaelworster
Contributor IV

I'm trying to use the Manufacturing Tool MfgTool2.exe to flash my MCIMX6Q-SDB SABRE board, I've tried both SDCard and eMMC and I'm getting the same results, the tool hangs during the partition step.

From the Downloads Page:
SABRE Platform for Smart Devices|NXP

I grabbed the latest version of the Manufacturing Tool:

IMX6_M6.0.1_2.0.0_MFG_TOOL (REV M6.0.1_2.0.0)

I've read through the documentation and it appears that the configuration is fairly well setup "out of the box" so I didn't initially make any changes to it.

I set my SABRE board to boot mode (SW6=00000000) and connected the USB OTG to my Windows 7 machine, I was able to see it show up with proper VID/PID (15A2/0054). I also connected the UART-to-serial connection to my PC so I could see the progress as well.

After that I launched the MfgTool2.exe with Administrator permissions. I was able to see the steps start until the tool reported "Partitioning..." This seems to be the mksdcard.sh script running on the target device. From my terminal prompt I was able to see “wait for /dev/mmcblk0 appear” printed over and over again.

I also tried changing the cfg.ini script to point to the eMMC list instead, but that locks up at the same place.

Any thoughts on what is going wrong here?

Thanks.

-Mike

Note: even though they're mostly default, I'm attaching the cfg.ini and ucl2.xml. I'm also attaching the MfgTool.log showing the last command (sh mksdcard.sh) and the mfgtool_stuck.txt which is the serial console log from my SABRE Quad board.

Original Attachment has been moved to: ucl2.xml.zip

Original Attachment has been moved to: cfg.ini.zip

Original Attachment has been moved to: mfgtool_stuck.txt.zip

Original Attachment has been moved to: MfgTool.log.zip

0 Kudos
1 Solution
michaelworster
Contributor IV

I found the problem, the default image that comes with the tool isn't a full image. The tool, by default, wants to use

\mfgtools\Profiles\Linux\OS Firmware\files\rootfs.tar.bz2 to do the upgrade, and I was letting it select that file. I have since realized the file is empty (0KB) so it fails to work. Replacing the rootfs.tar.bz2 with a root file system image that I created myself solved that problem.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
michaelworster
Contributor IV

Thanks to JasonMoss​ for the support on this question, the issue for the hang was because the wrong mmc device was selected (for the Quad SABRE board) by default in the cfg.ini file. With the [variable] tag's mmc entry changing to "mmc = 3" now I can see the partitioning step working.

The flashing now fails a few steps down where a "push file" operation apparently has failed, but with no discernible error code, or reason.

The tool states: "Push" error, file="C:\Users\worstem11170\Documents\iCOM\NextGen\Freescale i.MX6 SABRESDB\mfgtools\Profiles\Linux\OS Firmware\files\rootfs.tar.bz2"

ScreenShot_Failure_two.jpg

The last thing the kernel log shows is a successful command to mount an ext3 file system (see: mfg_tool_failed_at_RFS.txt):

UTP: received command '$ mount -t ext3 /dev/mmcblk3p2 /mnt/mmcblk3p2'

UTP: executing "mount -t ext3 /dev/mmcblk3p2 /mnt/mmcblk3p2"

kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds

EXT3-fs (mmcblk3p2): using internal journal

EXT3-fs (mmcblk3p2): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode

UTP: sending Success to kernel for command $ mount -t ext3 /dev/mmcblk3p2 /mnt/mmcblk3p2.

utp_poll: pass returned.

random: nonblocking pool is initialized

But the last message from the MfgTool.log is another error (see MfgTool2.log):

ModuleID[2] LevelID[10]: ExecuteCommand--Push[WndIndex:0], Body is $ mount -t ext3 /dev/mmcblk3p2 /mnt/mmcblk3p2

ModuleID[2] LevelID[10]: ExecuteCommand--Push[WndIndex:0], Body is pipe tar -jxv -C /mnt/mmcblk3p2

ModuleID[2] LevelID[1]: PortMgrDlg(0)--MSCDevice--Command Push(file) excute failed

ModuleID[2] LevelID[10]: CmdOperation[0], current command executed failed, so SetEvent(hDevCanDeleteEvent)

0 Kudos
michaelworster
Contributor IV

I found the problem, the default image that comes with the tool isn't a full image. The tool, by default, wants to use

\mfgtools\Profiles\Linux\OS Firmware\files\rootfs.tar.bz2 to do the upgrade, and I was letting it select that file. I have since realized the file is empty (0KB) so it fails to work. Replacing the rootfs.tar.bz2 with a root file system image that I created myself solved that problem.

0 Kudos
cesar_miguel
Contributor II

Hello Michael.

How did you create rootfs.tar.bz2 yourself?

I have the same problem as you. 

Thank you

Best regards

César 

VishalRana
Contributor II

Hi,

I am also facing this issue. I am trying to make SD card partition from mkfs.vfat to mkfs.ext3. getting error.

Also want to create  rootfs.tar.bz2. Any suggestion ?

Regards,

Vishal Rana

0 Kudos
jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Have you try to write the images to emmc? 

0 Kudos
michaelworster
Contributor IV

jimmychan​ - Are you asking if I've tried to write an image to the eMMC on the SABRE board using another mechanism besides the MfgTool?

The answer is no, I have not done so. If you have some specific steps or instructions in mind I wouldn't mind giving that a try.

However I should also mention that what I've done so far, while it fails to flash the Root File System correctly, DOES flash the bootloader correctly. When I change the SW6 configuration to "boot from eMMC" it fully and correctly boots the bootloader, but u-boot says it failed to jump to a good Linux from there. (which makes sense since the bootloader steps worked, but the loading the RFS step failed)

0 Kudos