AnsweredAssumed Answered

Problem making a ZigBee beaconed network

Question asked by Alejandro Bermudez on Jun 5, 2008
Latest reply on Jul 14, 2008 by Alejandro Bermudez
Hello. First, please don't scroll down yet, I copied/pasted many things and it may look too long to read but I'll try my best to make it short. Second, I'll explain the tools I'm using:

- CodeWarrior 5.9
- BeeKit 1.5 with MAC CodeBase 1.01
- 3 Panasonic PAN802154HAR Modules (imagine 3 SARDs)
- RS232 to Hyperterminal kind of interface.

What I'm trying to do is to create a little network between one coordinator and two end devices. The coordinator will be AC powered and the devices will have battery. I'm checking MyWirelessApp Demos, trying to understand how they work. I tried 6a and 6b demos (non beaconed networks) since their description was pretty suitable for what I'm looking for, I'll quote it:

"In many user scenarios, there will be one PAN coordinator with several devices associated to it and the PAN coordinator will be powered with AC power, where the devices will be powered by a battery."

But then I found that with just 6a and 6b demos (without mayor modifications) wasn't enough to hold a simple communication from the coordinator to both devices, seems like if I had to modify their code to no lose packets because if not then the devices will only get part of the data sent.

Before going deep into demo 6, I decided to try a beaconed network (demo 7). I did some calculations (between, if someone knows where to find a site with beaconed math well explained, I'd appreciate it) and I got BO = 5 and SO = 1, I made BeeKit solutions exported them to CodeWarrior and when I run them I get this at the HyperTerminal:

Code:
MyWirelessApp_07-Coordinator demo application is initialized and ready.Initiating the Energy Detection ScanSending the MLME-Scan Request message to the MAC...DoneReceived the MLME-Scan Confirm message from the MACED scan returned the following results:  [10 0E 0C 30 00 88 30 80 10 00 10 10 00 30 30 30 ]Based on the ED scan the logical channel 0x0F was selectedStarting as PAN coordinator on channel 0x0FSending the MLME-Start Request message to the MAC...DoneStarted the coordinator with PAN ID 0xBEEF, and short address 0xCAFE.Ready to send and receive data over the UART.

Then, when I connect the 1st device:

Code:
MyWirelessApp_07-EndDevice demo application is initialized and ready.Start scanning for a PAN coordinatorSending the MLME-Scan Request message to the MAC...DoneFound a coordinator with the following properties:----------------------------------------------------Address............0xCAFEPAN ID.............0xBEEFLogical Channel....0x0FBeacon Spec........0xCF15Link Quality.......0xB2Associating to PAN coordinator on channel 0x0FSending the MLME-Associate Request message to the MAC...DoneSuccessfully associated with the coordinator.We were assigned the short address 0x0001Ready to send and receive data over the UART.

Coordinator shows:

Code:
Received an MLME-Associate Indication from the MACSending the MLME-Associate Response message to the MAC...DoneReceived an MLME-Comm-Status Indication from the MAC - status = 00

... Until here it works great. Then, when I connect the 2nd device it shows:

Code:
MyWirelessApp_07-EndDevice demo application is initialized and ready.Start scanning for a PAN coordinatorSending the MLME-Scan Request message to the MAC...DoneFound a coordinator with the following properties:----------------------------------------------------Address............0xCAFEPAN ID.............0xBEEFLogical Channel....0x0FBeacon Spec........0xCF15Link Quality.......0xA6Associating to PAN coordinator on channel 0x0FSending the MLME-Associate Request message to the MAC...Done

and the Coordinator shows:

Code:
Received an MLME-Associate Indication from the MACSending the MLME-Associate Response message to the MAC...DoneReceived an MLME-Comm-Status Indication from the MAC - status = 00

But then, the 2nd device shows:

Code:
Associate Confirm wasn't successful...Start scanning for a PAN coordinatorSending the MLME-Scan Request message to the MAC...Done

An then it shows:

Code:
Found a coordinator with the following properties: ...

But once again it shows:

Code:
Associate Confirm wasn't successful ...

and so on, and the Coordinator keeps showing:

Code:

Any idea of why it isn't working well? and if you wanna give me other kind of advices, I'd appreciate it too.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Message Edited by neocronos on 2008-06-05 11:15 PM

Outcomes