How many erase/write cycles does the internal Flash have before degradation becomes a factor?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many erase/write cycles does the internal Flash have before degradation becomes a factor?

Jump to solution
ericbergstedt
Contributor II

I'm using a MKL27Z256 and I'm using the internal flash to store device information that needs to be periodically updated.

1 Solution
egoodii
Senior Contributor III

Your part datasheet will have a section like this:

pastedImage_0.png

Unless those drivers do some kind of sophisticated 'wear leveling', these numbers will be representative.  As with all such nonvolatile memory cells, 'cycle life' depends on 'how many years afterwards' one needs to continue reading those writes (i.e., before time&temperature eke away the electrons).

View solution in original post

3 Replies
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Eric,

I'd highly recommend you to use the C90TFS Flash Drivers to implement emulated EEPROM on the KL27 , then you can periodically reading and writing data in the "EEPROM" area.

And please refer to the demo code through the link as below.

EEPROM emulation on KL25 using C90TFS

Have a great day,
Ping

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
ericbergstedt
Contributor II

Thanks but I already have the C90TFS Flash drivers implemented and I'm using the last two pages of RAM to do this. One page for logging system information and the other 1k page for saving system information. I would like to know how many times I can erase/write to these pages before they stop becoming reliable sources. I want to keep a count going so after a certain number of erases/writes I will migrate the information to another page.

Where can I find documentation about how many erase/write cycles I can perform on the internal flash before it starts to degrade? I am trying to estimate product life span under my current implementation.

0 Kudos
egoodii
Senior Contributor III

Your part datasheet will have a section like this:

pastedImage_0.png

Unless those drivers do some kind of sophisticated 'wear leveling', these numbers will be representative.  As with all such nonvolatile memory cells, 'cycle life' depends on 'how many years afterwards' one needs to continue reading those writes (i.e., before time&temperature eke away the electrons).