AnsweredAssumed Answered

i.MX7D M4 boot trouble

Question asked by Joseph Heath on Jun 20, 2016
Latest reply on Aug 22, 2016 by Stefan Agner

I received an i.MX7D SABRE-SD last week.  All relevant documents, code, etc. was downloaded. One thing I noted is pretty much all documents are packaged for i.MX6SoloX.  Likely not a big deal but even the FreeRTOS source references i.MX6SX not i.MX7.

First I simply powered up with the provided uSD.  Get the openEmbedded GUI and all.  Looks good.

Unarchived the rel_imx_4.1.15_1.1.0_ga.tar.bz2 image, installed latest cross compilers on my Linux workstation, built the image, loaded and ran.  Good.  Did more work on the kernel - tracked down relevant 4.1.15 RT patch set, applied, fought the gpu-viv code for a while (until I realized it isn't needed for i.MX7 build), updated imx-sdma.c as documented in meta-fsl-arm rt.  Replaced rootfs with minimal Debian.  Fired everything up and it runs.

Today back to original rel_imx_4.1.15_1.1.0_ga image and working to light up the M4.  Pulled the necessary compilers from launchpad.net, set up the ARMGCC_DIR environmental variable and built rpmsg pingpong demo.  Everything looks good so far.  Copy the .bin onto the FAT section of uSD.  Open terminals to ttyUSB0 & ttyUSB1.  Plug uSD (in carrier) into the i.MX7D SABRE-SD and powered on.  Interrupted uboot during boot and copied bin image into memory using the instructions here, i.MX 7Dual SABRE Board|NXP  No joy.  Nothing in M4 console terminal.

Ok, backed away from rpmsg, let's just do "hello_world" to verify things.  Same behavior.  It seems there are at least three points of possible failure - bad build, bad ttyUSB1 circuitry, bad silicon.

There are no errors on the build.  Output of CMakeOutput.log

The target system is: Generic -  - arm

The host system is: Linux - 3.19.0-61-generic - x86_64

Checking whether the ASM compiler is GNU using "--version" matched "(GNU assembler)|(GCC)|(Free Software Foundation)":

arm-none-eabi-gcc (GNU Tools for ARM Embedded Processors) 5.3.1 20160307 (release) [ARM/embedded-5-branch revision 234589]

Copyright (C) 2015 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO

warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Where can I find a known good binary to eliminate the build image?  Are there other techniques to determine whether the M4 is running but silent (possibly indicating a tty issue)?  Looking for some ideas and/or guidance.

Thank you in advance,   Joe

Outcomes