Only partial debug functionality on LPC1347 (Problem with Red Trace / Red Probe?)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only partial debug functionality on LPC1347 (Problem with Red Trace / Red Probe?)

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by gjwep on Thu Dec 19 03:21:24 MST 2013
I am using LPCXpresso 6.1.0 with a Red Probe+ on a Mac (OSX 10.9) to debug an LPC1347 based 3rd party board. The Red Probe+ connects via a 20-to-10 pin adapter to the target board.

The LPC1347 board is running at 72MHz, and has the LED on the same port as the LPCXpresso, so I'm running the LPCXpresso systick_twinkle example without modification, imported into a fresh workspace with everything at default (exceptions: disabled CRP, and changed MCU to 1347 in workspace preferences).

The example runs fine but I can only seem to get partial debug functionality. All debug stepping modes and Data Watch+ with live updates seem to work fine, but Int Statistics+, Int Trace+, and Profile+ don't. After clicking "start trace" in any of them, the respective trace is being displayed in red in the status line but none of the trace windows shows any data after the trace has been started/stopped (regardless of whether MCU is running or halted).

What am I missing?

Thanks+regards,
gj

0 Kudos
7 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by gjwep on Wed Jun 04 02:15:04 MST 2014
Thanks for the prompt response.

Quote:
You never did respond to our post about the PIO0_9 workaround.

I did (see earlier in the thread) "Setting PIO0-9 to 0x93 doesn't seem to have an effect, though."

Quote:
1. Did you ever see Int or Profile trace work with LPCXpresso 6.1.0 after using the suggested workaround?

No - the workaround didn't change the behaviour. I did confirm having set address 0x40044024 to 0x93, CPU type set correctly to 1347.

Quote:
2. Can you state with certainty that SWO is brought out to the debug header on your board?

This explains it - thanks for the pointer! The Soldersplash DipCortex LPC1347 modules don't seem to have the 1347's SWO pin 28 wired to the 10 pin connector -- at least according to the  schematic (which says 11u24 but is the same for 1347, afaik).

Thanks+regards,
gj
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Wed Jun 04 01:10:15 MST 2014

Quote: gjwep
Fast forward about a year...  I'm now on LPCX 7.2.0 build 153, and I'm seeing the exact same issue again. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

I have just tested LPCXpresso 7.2.0 (Mac and Windows) connected to an IAR/Olimex LPC1347 board via a Red Probe+, and see no problems carrying out RedTrace (SWO) operations (Profiling and interrupt tracing/statistics).  Everything works as expected (ie as described in the LPCXpresso User Guide).

Regards,
LPCXpresso Support
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Tue Jun 03 15:38:23 MST 2014

You need to fill in the blanks.The fix discussed in an earlier e-mail was completed in December 2013, and would certainly be in the LPCXpresso 7.2 release. You never did respond to our post about the PIO0_9 workaround.

1. Did you ever see Int or Profile trace work with  LPCXpresso 6.1.0 after using the suggested workaround?
2. Can you state with certainty that SWO is brought out to the debug header on your board?

Regards,

LPCXpresso-Support
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by gjwep on Tue Jun 03 10:21:11 MST 2014
Fast forward about a year...  I'm now on LPCX 7.2.0 build 153, and I'm seeing the exact same issue again. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Mon Jan 06 12:33:04 MST 2014

Quote: gjwep
Thank you. Setting PIO0-9 to 0x93 doesn't seem to have an effect, though. My SWD trace shows no activity on the SWO lead. I can see SWCLK & SWDIO working fine (as evidenced by the Data Watch output). Looking forward to the fix.

Make certain your CPU type is set to LPC1347. The PIO0-9 (PIO0_9) register is located at address 0x40044024 for the LPC1315/16/17/45/46/47 parts, and at 0x40044064 for the LPC1311/13/42/43 parts.

Regards,

LPCXpresso-Support
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by gjwep on Fri Dec 20 03:17:39 MST 2013
Thank you. Setting PIO0-9 to 0x93 doesn't seem to have an effect, though. My SWD trace shows no activity on the SWO lead. I can see SWCLK & SWDIO working fine (as evidenced by the Data Watch output). Looking forward to the fix.

Regards,
gj
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Thu Dec 19 11:57:42 MST 2013
You've found a bug in the LPCXpresso trace implementation for the LPC1347. We'll fix this is the next release. In the meantime, start trace as you would normally. In order to select the SWO function on the LPC1347, open the IOCON peripheral display, and find the PIO0-9 register. Change the register value to 0x93.

Regards,

LPCXpresso-Support
0 Kudos