Content originally posted in LPCWare by moises on Mon Apr 12 07:03:50 MST 2010
Hi,

After a rough start with the LPC11XX tools
I am still hopeful about the potential this new micros
can bring the the embedded industry.

But before I commit to new family of micros there are a few
things lacking on the current LPC11 that I would like to see
in new devices such as:

1.- Real Time Clock with Calendar and alarm functions.
      Very useful in applications requiring time stamping.
2.- CAN nad LIN serial interfaces
3.- 12-Bit ADC
4.- Internal EEProm
    Some of the 8-Bit micros have some EEPROM
5.- Internal regulator
6.- Maybe and External Memory Interface.

Just some suggestions.

Remember some of the 8, 16-bit micros on the market today have some if not all this peripherals included.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
13 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by NXP_Europe on Tue Apr 13 01:35:47 MST 2010
Shall we continue the discussion in this thread?
http://knowledgebase.nxp.com/showthread.php?t=293

Thanks,
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by rkiryanov on Mon Apr 12 23:50:30 MST 2010
It would be nice to see:

1) LPC23xx on Cortex-M0 (without USB and Ethernet, but with segment LCD driver)
2) LPC24xx on Cortex-M3 (with USB OTG, Ethernet MII, matrix LCD driver, EMC with SDRAM  DDR support)
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by LarryP on Mon Apr 12 18:07:45 MST 2010

Quote: KTownsend
<snip> I can understand that NXP wants to keep their cards close to their chest, though, since there are a lot of other chip makers licensing the same core, and everyone is probably waiting to see what kind of pricing/feature-set others will put out there first. 
<snip>

Ktownsend, et al,

I think keeping their cards close to their chest is more likely to backfire.  When prospective users are kept guessing, they often evaluate other choices.  I think it would be a *good* thing if NXP shared more of their plans with their user community, even in general terms, some info would help.  For example, I think they could safely reveal whether they plan to: 

Introduce family members with more flash 

Whether they will add USB capability to  the LPC1xxx line

Whether they will add the USB in-ROM support to the LPC17xx line

Just my $0.02
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by ktownsend on Mon Apr 12 13:09:56 MST 2010
Honestly, for $0.30 a 4Kx8 EEPROM seems like a lot less trouble. :-)  You never have to worry about overwriting the data when you (or some unwitting end user) flashes the mcu, etc.  It would be nice to see an internal EEPROM that could be secured, though.  You can encrypt the data you store on the EEPROM, but the barrier is even higher if you also have it in the MCU itself rather than sitting stark naked and vulnerable on the PCB.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Mon Apr 12 12:20:39 MST 2010
Not my area of expertise, but I think the ISP algorithm can actually program 1k at a time. You will need to check the docs though.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by hfischer on Mon Apr 12 12:20:35 MST 2010
Hey,

yes I fault, it was 4kb, but it is some kind, tricky to save 4kb Flash into 2kb Ram ;)
So it was for my project more convenient to use a EEPROM as option :)

Greets
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by rkiryanov on Mon Apr 12 11:36:21 MST 2010

Quote: hfischer
the Flash is sectored in 2kb pages

4kb
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Mon Apr 12 11:06:07 MST 2010
You can read the 2k sector, erase it, put your data into a 'sub-sector' of the 2k and then write the whole 2k back again. Slightly less efficient, yes, but workable.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by hfischer on Mon Apr 12 10:45:39 MST 2010
Hi,

The problem is, as far as I have right information from the datashett, the Flash is sectored in 2kb pages, which have to be erased as one unit, bevor writing new data. If I am not right, please give me more information, but i would wish smaller flash sectors, like atmel has 256byte pages, organized flash.
A RTC would also be nice in this low cost sector for, as before mentioned, timestamping application systems.

Greets
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by rkiryanov on Mon Apr 12 10:37:24 MST 2010
5. Dedicated Vref pin for ADC and DAC
6. Low frequency oscillators
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by igorsk on Mon Apr 12 10:16:52 MST 2010
Re 4: with IAP you can use internal flash as EEPROM. As for internal regulator, the datasheet says:

Quote:
Single 3.3 V power supply (1.8 V to 3.6 V)

Is that what you mean?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by ktownsend on Mon Apr 12 08:20:02 MST 2010
I'm not sure about the external memory interface on the M0 (low power goes out the window, so I'd expect to see that in the M3 devices instead), but I suspect you'll see most of the items on that list at some point.  I can understand that NXP wants to keep their cards close to their chest, though, since there are a lot of other chip makers licensing the same core, and everyone is probably waiting to see what kind of pricing/feature-set others will put out there first.  NXP has already set the bar pretty high with the very competitive pricing on the LPC1100 devices, though.

For my part, I'm waiting for USB with the USB bootloader from the 1343, and RTC would be nice for wireless sensor nodes.  EEPROM can be convenient, but it's not really a big deal to add a cheap I2C chip either (which is what I do at present).  I suspect you won't be disappointed in 2010 (or so), though.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by leon_heller on Mon Apr 12 08:03:38 MST 2010
There are other NXP ARM chips with most of that stuff on them!
0 Kudos