Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

first project 1344

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by caprock on Thu Apr 08 12:48:05 MST 2010
xp/sp3 on lpc1344 dev card with lpcxpresso base board & code red

After build Blinky and start debug, I get loads of messages & seems to start the debugger but then nothing: no error report and no debug activity as far as I can tell. (Core & Peripherals are all empty, no display of step commands).

If I try and relaunch the debugger, a message "Device is connected already Code Red - LPCXpresso (Connected). Can't seem to find the command to disconnect, so tried Close All and disconnect the USB, replug & retry gets the same results.

Can someone please direct me in the right direction here?
:confused:

Original Attachment has been moved to: 1100271_timeout.log.txt.zip

0 Kudos
13 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by caprock on Sun Apr 11 12:54:45 MST 2010
Continuing the saga...

I can't seem to get Breakpoints to work with Base Board installed.
1) The Stop on Main is set in the configutation but the load just proceeds past
2) A Restart does select Main()
3) Enabed breakpoints seem to be ignored.

When I try w/o the Base board the startup still proceeds past the Stop on Main, but the Breakpoints seem to behave as expected.

I re-read this section 8.1 and the way I understand it would seem that a connection to the Base usb and also to lpc link should work w/o removing J54.

(If at all possible, I would prefer to attach the base board for the i/o complement, but also to allow me to use the facilities w/o having to do any wiring. This is required since I am physically challenged)

Thoughts?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by caprock on Sun Apr 11 11:39:07 MST 2010
It's truly amazing how many times you can read something and STILL miss the point!

Left J54 as shipped and connected the main usb to supply power. Interesting that the previous setup where only the 1343 has powered via the lpc link, that the processor was not entirely dead; I could see the registers and it was executing code & a subroutine up around 0x1fff1a08 or so. (don't remember the actual address).

Anyway, Thanks to all for the assistance here.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by rmteo on Sat Apr 10 17:41:58 MST 2010
Look at section 8 (page 53) of the Base Board manual - reason #2.

Quote:
[B]8 Troubleshooting[/B]

8.1 The Board is Always in Reset
Reason 1: If a terminal application, such as Tera Term, is connected to the COM port associated with the board and at the same time have the J54 jumpers (see Figure 21) inserted, the terminal application might be the cause of this problem. If the terminal application is pulling DTR low the board will be reset and if it pulls RTS low it will control the bootload enable functionality.
Solution 1: Remove the jumpers and try again (please note that the jumpers must be inserted if the board is programmed using the UART boot mode).

Reason 2: If the board is [COLOR=Red][B]powered only through the USB interface[/B][/COLOR] on the LPCXpresso LPC1343/LPC1114 Board (interface 2 as shown in Figure 3) the FTDI USB-to-UART bridge won’t be powered. The output pins such as RTS and CTS might then have a low output. If the J54 jumpers, see Figure 21, are inserted the board will always be in reset.
Solution 2: Power the board also through USB interface 1, as shown in Figure 3, or remove the J54 jumpers.

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by caprock on Sat Apr 10 16:52:11 MST 2010
I tried one last configuration and Blinky works!

The LPC1343 board had been placed into the LPCXpresso Base Board and that was where it refused to function. The only power is the attached usb.

I pulled this board from the base board and voila! Blinks and can step code.

The base board operates ok with the MBED installed.

Any ideas? Bus conflict? Or is this a normal and expected behaviour?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Fri Apr 09 15:00:41 MST 2010
This sounds like broken board to me. First thing is to check/replace your USB cable. If that makes no difference, ask your supplier for a new board.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by caprock on Fri Apr 09 12:25:15 MST 2010
1) Deleted Blinky proj from workspace & disk
2) Imported Blinky from Zip file
3) Used Quick start Debug to build & launch
4) Did not stop in Main; was in Run; LED2 is lit but no flash
5) Cannot Step: "Execution is suspended because of suspended because of error. Cannot find bounds of current function.
6: Resume continues; Restart goes back into the Run mode as in #4 above

When I clicked to look at Core Registers there are two messages: Multiple errors have occurred - java.lang.NullPointerException (both errors)
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Fri Apr 09 10:34:51 MST 2010
Possible, but unlikely - if you have no other debug targets connected to USB ports, then there should be no conflict.

One other thing - use the Debug button in the Quickstart panel - it builds the project, creates all the right debug options, starts a debug session, downloads to the target, sets a breakpoint on main() and simulates a reset so that app starts.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by caprock on Fri Apr 09 08:44:25 MST 2010
Thank you for the reply.
It IS possible that I missed an important step in the Getting Started so I think I will remove all and reload from the start. The first project is the standard Blinky for 1343.

But a question arises: is it possible that there is a conflict with a debug component?

This system has AVR tools: ICCAVR, IAR, Codevision & WinAVR as well as Altera FPGA.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Fri Apr 09 00:28:17 MST 2010
HI,

The Getting Started guide (a link is provided in the LPCXpresso start menu) gives some help with your first project. However, the edited highlights are:
- Use the Quickstart panel "Import Example projects" to get some working projects. Browse to the directory for you part and choose one of the zips for your target board.
- Use the Quickstart panel to "Build all projects"
- Connect your board to a USB port
- Select the project you wish to debug in Project Explorer
- Use Quickstart panel to "Debug (your project)"

The standard "Develop" perspective fully supports debug, so there is no need to open the Debug perspective.

Follow these instructions and you will be up and running quickly.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by caprock on Thu Apr 08 16:04:15 MST 2010
Seems you nailed it - the debug perspective was not enabled. Seems that I had to click 'Others' to enable it. Still would not load the project as error was same as earlier - already running...

After several loads, I just got a debug with a peripheral screen but not much more.

I need to do a little more reading
Thanks for the tip!
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by hfischer on Thu Apr 08 13:47:50 MST 2010
At the moment I dont have the board here.
I will give you a screenshot tomorrow to show you where to go.
I think you are not in the debug prospective, you would see which buttons will start the debug-mode.

Good evening
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by caprock on Thu Apr 08 13:35:09 MST 2010
F8 does nothing - close all still has a session open.

How do I close a degug session?
And where did you find the F8?

The Run tab has External Tools ?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by hfischer on Thu Apr 08 12:51:29 MST 2010
Hi,

when everything runs without an error you are in debugg mode.
Just press F8 or press the green arrow in the panel on the top of the ide :)

In order to verify the running debugger you can see in the console if there is everything done right. Chose the appropriate view in the panel on top auf the console view.

Hope i dont give you a hint you already tried :)

Greets
0 Kudos