lpcware

Roadmap/Plan for future Cortex Mx parts?

Discussion created by lpcware Employee on Jun 15, 2016
Latest reply on Jun 15, 2016 by lpcware
Content originally posted in LPCWare by LarryP on Fri Apr 09 10:14:40 MST 2010
Greetings all, 

This may not be the absolute best place, but it's at least hosted by NXP, so I hope somebody who works for them will read and respond. 

One thing that (I think) would *significantly* help adoption of the LPC1xxx products would be publishing and *publicizing* info on what NXP is planning to do in the future for the LPC1xxx family,  AKA a roadmap. 
This is often done to let designers know what to expect (and that the company is still supporting new products in the family.) 

However, for the LPC1xxx, there is a curious lack of such info, at least that I've been able to find.   I've done a number of searches, and I have found virtually no info on future plans re new products for the LPC1xxx family. 
So, it's not clear whether/when NXP will bring out new models (e.g. with nore memory) or when.  Lack of such info tends to make some designers (myself among them) a tad nervous.  Is NXP's current development effort now focused on the Cortex M4? 

FWIW, I would particularly welcome USB-capable additions to the LPC11xx line and/or new products in the LCP13xx/LPC17xx lines that include the in-ROM USB support now present in the LPC1343. 

By the way, I urge NXP and ARM not do call any successor to that arch, the Cortex M5.  Any Star Trek fan knows that naming a computer M5 can only lead to big problems.   (For you non-Trek-fans, see the episode titled, "The Ultimate Computer.") 

-- Larry

Outcomes