cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert spaces for tabs

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by rkiryanov on Thu Apr 29 01:42:23 MST 2010
It seems, that this flag does nothing. Other flags are working, but I don't see any difference if this flag checked or unchecked - tabs are inserted. I prefer if "Tab" insert spaces.

Window - Preferences - General - Editors - Text Editors.
0 Kudos
4 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by rkiryanov on Thu Apr 29 07:45:56 MST 2010
In the .s file Tab inserts four spaces, in the .h file - hard tab :( Is there extra checkbox for C++ files? I can't find it.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Thu Apr 29 07:23:34 MST 2010
Attached is a screenshot with "Show whitespace characters" ticked so that you can see what is going on.

On the first line, you can see a tab character (a small ">>") between each "fr". Then before I entered the second line, I ticked "Insert spaces for tabs". Thus on the second line you can see spaces characters (small dots) between each "fr".

Note that if you switch between the two settings, it does not retrospectively change tabs and spaces over. The change only affects newly entered text.

Also note that if you change "Displayed tab width", this will change the display of text with actual tab characters in it. But it will not modify the display of code containing "spaces for tabs".

Regards,
CodeRedSupport
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by rkiryanov on Thu Apr 29 02:26:26 MST 2010

Quote: CodeRedSupport
It seems to work here.

No, tabs are inserted. I attached my settings.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Thu Apr 29 02:14:38 MST 2010
It seems to work here. If you tick "Show whitespace characters" you can see whether a tab character or space characters are being inserted when you press the TAB key.

Regards
CodeRedSupport
0 Kudos