Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux IDE hangs initializing LPC-Link

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by sjalloq on Sun Feb 27 05:41:37 MST 2011
Hi there,

I've just installed the Linux IDE on an Ubuntu 10.10 VM running on a Mac OS X VirtualBox host.  I've been trying to get the Blinky example project up and running but the IDE hangs when I try and Debug the project.

When I initially plug in the LPC-Link it shows up in the VM list of USB devices as an unknown device.  When I click Debug I get a message that the IDE couldn't find an LPC-Link.  I then have to go back to the VM list of USB devices, which now lists an NXP LPC-Link instead of the unknown device, and select that instead.  However, doing this causes the IDE to hang until I unplug the USB cable.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
40 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Tue May 03 07:22:00 MST 2011
I'm not sure how we can help.
- LPCXpresso works on Windows XP
- It works on on the VMs we have here (I have personally tried VMWare Player and VirtualBox)
- we have a simple FAQ on the only known issue at http://support.code-red-tech.com/CodeRedWiki/LPCLinkVMissue

If you are still having problems, can you please
- start a new thread
- post EXACTLY what you have tried and what is not working
- post all details on host and target software and hardware
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by subhendu.satpathy on Tue May 03 02:16:38 MST 2011
hi codered,
Would you plz help me in finding out whats the issue i have in my VM.... or how do i go ahead in setting up the USB filter...
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by subhendu.satpathy on Tue May 03 02:14:09 MST 2011
thanks Larry for all that support...
I'll definetely apprise you on the solution once i get it cleared...
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by larryvc on Fri Apr 22 22:10:55 MST 2011

Quote: subhendu.satpathy

Could you plz send me the link where i can find how to install USB filters on my VMware...

Hi Subhendu,

Although I have VMware I could not find my copy of Win XP.  I tried VMware 7.1.4 with a Win 7 guest and it recognized the LPC-Link right away.  The USB filter mechanism in VMware is different than in Virtualbox.  Being that I don't use VMware much anymore I really did not have a good understanding of how to set it up.

I'm sorry but I am at a loss for providing you with a solution for this.  If I come up with any further ideas I will surely post them.

Hopefully CodeRedSupport or someone else will be able to continue to help you resolve the problem.

Thank you for your understanding.:)
Larry
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by subhendu.satpathy on Fri Apr 22 21:55:43 MST 2011
hi,
here are the O/P of the command as seen in the commnad window of windowsXP in VMware:
>bootLPCXpresso hid
booting LPC-Link with LPCXpressoFS.enc
Press any key to continue....

then i go ahead and key ENTER and then the command prompt appears..
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by subhendu.satpathy on Fri Apr 22 21:28:55 MST 2011
hey Larry,
thats absolutly fine ... i can understand the life of an firmware Engg...
Could you plz send me the link where i can find how to install USB filters on my VMware...
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by subhendu.satpathy on Fri Apr 22 21:24:07 MST 2011
hi CodeRed support,
Host OS --> Win XP 2002 SP2
Which VM --> VMware workstation Ver 6.0.0.45731
Which OS inside VM --> Again WinXP 2002 SP2, this is a weird thing my company has, as they don't allow(no admin rights) to install any IDE or s/w on the host PC..
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Sun Apr 17 23:45:02 MST 2011
Can you recap:
- which host OS are you running?
- which VM
- which OS are you running inside the VM?

Next, ensure your LPC-Link is connected to the VM and the OS inside the VM can see the DFU device. Then run the diagnostics:
http://support.code-red-tech.com/CodeRedWiki/LPCLinkDiagnostics
and post all of the output.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by larryvc on Sun Apr 17 00:53:37 MST 2011
Hi Subhendu,

:oSorry.  I made an error before and had given you instructions for Linux while you are running Windows.  That is what I get for staying up too late and not getting enough sleep.  I hope I did not trouble you to much.

I have VMware and I can try to load Win XP SP2 and LPCXpresso tomorrow.  It is very late/early here now and I don't want to give you bad information again.

You probably need to set up USB filters in VMware so that the Windows XP guest will be notified of the change of the USB Device.  This was mentioned in an earlier post in this thread.  I had to do this in Virtualbox for my Linux guest.

Perhaps someone else can help you in the meantime.

Good Luck,
Larry
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by larryvc on Sun Apr 17 00:13:51 MST 2011
Hi Subhendu,

In my previous post I gave you the link to where I had entered several commands to run the diagnostics.  Not the command you are entering.

Enter those commands in the same way I did.

You will get a lot of output from each command.

Post that output here to the forum.

Larry
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by subhendu.satpathy on Sun Apr 17 00:03:06 MST 2011
hi Larry,
'm using VMware whihc has WindowsXP SP2 2002
here are the O/P of the command as seen in the commnad window of windowsXP in VMware:
>bootLPCXpresso hid
booting LPC-Link with LPCXpressoFS.enc
Press any key to continue....

then i go ahead and key ENTER and then the command prompt appears..
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by larryvc on Sat Apr 16 13:17:29 MST 2011

hi Larry,
here are the commands and the output adjacent to it...

lemme know if you need any further inputs

Hi Subhendu,

What I meant is to post the full output of the commands as they are shown in the command prompt window after they are executed.  They provide the information we need to determine what is not working.

What Virtual Machine are you using?  VMware, Virtualbox, something else?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by subhendu.satpathy on Sat Apr 16 12:11:33 MST 2011
hi,,
here are the steps i did and adjacent to it is the O/P...

Disconnect and reconnect the LPCXpresso (LPC-Link) board
Device Manager will display [I]USB Device with DFU capabilities[/I]
Open a Command Prompt and cd <install_dir>\bin\Scripts
Run one of the following commands, depending on you OS type

[B]bootLPCXpresso hid[/B] [WinXP]
[LIST]
[*]this will load the LPC-Link with the USB debug firmware
[*]LPC-Link will appear in Device Manager
[/LIST]
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by subhendu.satpathy on Sat Apr 16 12:09:08 MST 2011
hi Larry,
here are the commands and the output adjacent to it...

1.Disconnect and reconnect the LPCXpresso (LPC-Link) board
Device Manager will display USB Device with DFU capabilities --- O/P ->this worked
Run one of the following commands, depending on you OS type
bootLPCXpresso hid [WinXP] --- O/P -> booting LPC-Link with LPCXpressoFS.enc
>Press any key to continue....

this will load the LPC-Link with the USB debug firmware ---> this didn't load the desired driver.. i can still find the DFU
LPC-Link will appear in Device Manager ---> i can still find DFU

i have WinXP Professional 2K2 SP2 and the same in the host machine...

lemme know if you need any further inputs
thnx
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by larryvc on Sat Apr 16 09:52:20 MST 2011

Quote: CodeRedSupport
No. This is not possible if LPC-Link was not communicating. Most likely is that the Flash was never touched and so whatever application was in there, stayed in there...

I've reproduced this, anomaly?, several times.  I created a clone of a fresh install of ubuntu 10.10, 64-bit:), so it does not take too much time to set up the scenario again.

I start with systick_[B]twinkle[/B] loaded into flash from Version: LPCXpresso v3.6.2 [Build 279] [29/01/2011] on Win 7 64-bit.  Nice modulated blink rate.

When I initiate debug in the IDE on the VM, as previously described, I get the failure but systick_[B]blinky[/B] is loaded into flash.  Nice steady blink.  I also see activity on the LED of the LPC-Link as systick_blinky is loaded and as the debugger is trying to start up.

Granted that the IDE is in a wierd state at this point as some files the debugger needs can't be found.  I don't expect you to do anything about this, I was just pointing out that it happens.

Would you like me to come to Europe to show you?:)  I could use a good holiday.:)

Thanks,
Larry
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Sat Apr 16 00:58:15 MST 2011

Quote: larryvc
What I found most interesting, while troubleshooting this problem, was that I noticed systick_twinkle was being programmed into the part regardless of the error message.  So I knew that the LPC-LINK was communicating.   It was when the debugger was trying to initialize that the connection to the LPC-Link failed.

No. This is not possible if LPC-Link was not communicating. Most likely is that the Flash was never touched and so whatever application was in there, stayed in there.

Quote:

I know the LPC-Link is proprietary hardware, but is there a document I can read to better understand the process of how the debugger interacts with the hardware?

How the debugger interacts with the chip is covered in the ARM CoreSight documentation:
http://infocenter.arm.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.arm.doc.set.coresight/index.html

Be warned - this is a HUGE document set...
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by larryvc on Fri Apr 15 09:55:41 MST 2011
CodeRedSupport can you answer my question in this post?

http://knowledgebase.nxp.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=7396

It's gottten a little bit buried and you might have not seen it.

Thanks,
Larry
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by larryvc on Fri Apr 15 09:49:56 MST 2011

i also tried the steps given in the link:
http://support.code-red-tech.com/CodeRedWiki/LPCLinkDiagnostics
but no success... im using WinXP on VM..

Copy and Paste (post) the complete outputs of the commands you execute while performing the diagnostics.  Then we can also see the results and may be able to further help you.

What version of WinXP is the Guest?

What VM are you using and what version?

What is the Host operating system the VM is running on?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by TheFallGuy on Fri Apr 15 07:50:32 MST 2011
Did you read this?
http://support.code-red-tech.com/CodeRedWiki/LPCLinkVMissue
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by subhendu.satpathy on Fri Apr 15 06:34:30 MST 2011

Quote: CodeRedSupport
Of course, it would have helped if you mentioned that you were using 64-bit Linux!

hi there,
would you plz guide me the steps you did to get the LPC-Link firmware loaded to the debugger using the DFU.. Even im facing the same problem and not able to get LPC-Link detected in the device manager. i also tried the steps given in the link:
http://support.code-red-tech.com/Cod...inkDiagnostics
but no success... im using WinXP on VM..

Disconnect and reconnect the LPCXpresso (LPC-Link) board
Device Manager will display USB Device with DFU capabilities
bootLPCXpresso hid [WinXP]
>booting LPC-Link with LPCXpressoFS.enc
>Press any key to continue....

i didn't get LPC-Link appearing on the device database....

kindly help...
0 Kudos