Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPC1857 debug error - failed to connect

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Nemanja on Mon Nov 26 10:08:56 MST 2012
Hello,

I'm using Keil MCB 1857, and NXP LPC-Link (cut off from LPCXpresso board) for debugging, and when I try to run some basic program from the LPCXpresso, I get the following error:
02: Failed on connect: Ep(01). Target marked as not debuggable.
Emu(0): Connected. Was: None. DpID:     EDB6. Info: HID64HS12

I checked this link: http://support.code-red-tech.com/CodeRedWiki/MarkedNotDebuggable

Cable is fine, board is powered, debug circuit is default and board is brand new, so no reason why the flash would be locked... Any ideas?

By the way, in Debugger options I choose NXP LPC18xx (SWD), and after I run it with that setup I get an asterisk after that string (*), like something has been changed in the configuration. When I choose the option without an asterisk, next time I run it I get something like this (together with the previously mentioned 02:Failed on connect... error):
Error in final launch sequence
Failed to execute MI command:
-target-select extended-remote | crt_emu_lpc18_43_nxp -g -mi -2 -pLPC1857 -vendor=NXP -wire=hid -msg-port=50800

Thanks in advance,
Nemanja
0 Kudos
13 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Rorrik on Tue Oct 14 06:22:54 MST 2014
I have posted a number of threads in the last month with no response (http://www.lpcware.com/content/forum/lpc812-spi-master-clock-and-chip-select-missing#comment-1140885). It would seem this was the best way to get a response. I was hoping to get answers from the people who had this problem before, since there seems to be no hope of getting an answer on new questions. Either way, I have figured it all out.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Tue Oct 14 00:10:58 MST 2014

Quote: Rorrik
I'm I'm afraid my question was unclear, I am using the LPC800 eval board.

It would be a good idea not to post your question in a thread from 2 years ago with the title "LPC1857 debug error…" then! In future, please just create a new and appropriately titled thread.

Anyway, I am glad you found a solution.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Rorrik on Mon Oct 13 11:46:13 MST 2014
I'm I'm afraid my question was unclear, I am using the LPC800 eval board. I don't have any buttons, and I don't know what boot jumper is. I have tried grounding the 3 ISP pins and pulling the reset pin high using wires, but your answer, and other things I've seen, seem to imply that the LPCXpresso should go into a different mode, which I haven't seen happen.

EDIT: I was able to get a new program on the chip by tying the ISP enable low (PIO0_1) while powering the board. Thanks for the help!
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by mc on Fri Oct 10 18:15:00 MST 2014
Hi Rorrik,
Assert pin P2_9,P2_8,P1_2 and P1_1 to low using boot jumpers. After this put device in ISP mode. To put device in ISP mode, make sure that you press and hold ISP, and then press and release reset, then finally release ISP.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Rorrik on Fri Oct 10 14:06:16 MST 2014
I am also experiencing this error with a second board. Did anyone figure out the problem?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by dsidlauskas on Sat Jan 25 17:58:06 MST 2014
I have exactly the same problem as you describe except it's with a NGX lpc1857 board. I've tried 2 boards with the same results.

Did you ever find a solution?

Thanks.

Dave
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Nemanja on Wed Nov 28 07:53:51 MST 2012
Thanks for your reply, I checked with all three debug interfaces, same result, seems like the connection is lost somewhere between these connectors and the LPC1857, it's probably a faulty board, I will contact the supplier.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Wed Nov 28 07:45:51 MST 2012
If pressing ISP and reset doesn't stop the image running, then you are doing it wrong! Make sure that you press and hold ISP, then (whilst still holding down ISP) press and release reset, then finally release ISP. You can also do this as you power up the board (ie power up with ISP pressed).

WIth regards to your suspicions with the debug interface - double check that the DBG_EN jumper is fitted (and maybe try using another jumper in case the fitted one is faulty). And you could also try using one of the other debug connectors on the board (it comes with all 3 ARM variants) in case the connection problem is specific to one of them (assuming you have appropriate cables/convertors to hand):

http://support.code-red-tech.com/CodeRedWiki/HardwareDebugConnections

But if you think you have a faulty board, I would probably suggest contacting your supplier.

Regards,
CodeRedSupport
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Nemanja on Wed Nov 28 06:15:03 MST 2012
I performed some more tests and it seems like the Debug interface is not connected to the LPC1857, might be some BGA soldering error.

By the way, I managed to flash the binary by booting from USB0 and using the dfusec tool:
http://www.lpcware.com/content/nxpfile/nxp-lpc18xx43xx-dfu-download-and-secure-image-generator

Can you please suggest any other test to check if the debug interface can communicate with the LPC1857?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Nemanja on Tue Nov 27 16:24:34 MST 2012
There is no Debug log, as I said couple of times it never starts debugging, but this is what I get on the console:
LPCXpresso Debug Driver v5.0 (Nov 22 2012 08:46:21 build 1083)
Looked for chip XML file in C:/nxp/LPCXpresso_5.0.12_1083/lpcxpresso/bin/LPC1857.xml
Looked for vendor directory XML file in C:/nxp/LPCXpresso_5.0.12_1083/lpcxpresso/bin/nxp_directory.xml
Found generic directory XML file in C:/nxp/LPCXpresso_5.0.12_1083/lpcxpresso/bin/crt_directory.xml

My colleague has the same board, with exactly the same jumper settings, both boards are brand new, he wrote an example which runs smoothly on his board, then he sent me complete workspace, so there is no reason why it should make problems. Unfortunately, he is 1242 km away so we cannot test stuff with both boards...

By the way, holding ISP and resetting the board seems to do nothing, as soon as I release the reset button it boots from external flash (board example).

Cheers,
Nemanja
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Tue Nov 27 15:02:20 MST 2012
As previously requested, please post the debug log (all of it!).

It might also be worth trying to boot the MCU into ISP mode before attempting a debug connection...

http://support.code-red-tech.com/CodeRedWiki/DebugAccessChip

Note that we have used several of the MCB 1857 / 4357 boards within Code Red and have never seen any problems connecting to them. I also see that you say that you are ...

Quote:
try to run some basic program from the LPCXpresso

We don't currently ship any examples specificially for these boards in LPCXpresso IDE. So what exactly have you tried to program in to your board?

Regards,
CodeRedSupport
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Nemanja on Tue Nov 27 14:54:01 MST 2012
Yes, I have disconnected the LPC-Link from the rest of the board, I checked it with multimeter couple of times.

DBG_EN jumper was never moved from the board.

I keep getting this error in the log:
I even tried to run it on another computer running Win XP, error was the same...

Even though the board is new, the flash might be locked, so I will try unlocking it using FlashMagic over UART and report my findings.

Cheers,
Nemanja
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Tue Nov 27 01:00:39 MST 2012
I've just created a simple LPC1857 "hello world" semihosting project using the project wizard and see no problems connecting to a Keil MCB1857 board via LPC-Link using LPCXpresso 5.0.12.

Have you disconnected your LPC-Link from the MCU portion of the LPCXpresso board correctly?

http://support.code-red-tech.com/CodeRedWiki/LPCXpressoExtDebug

Is the DBG_EN jumper fitted on your MCB 1857 board?

Do you have access to another board that you can try debugging?

If you continue to have problems, please post your debug log...

http://support.code-red-tech.com/CodeRedWiki/DebugLog

Regards,
CodeRedSupport
0 Kudos