Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB ISP Programming of 11U68 doesn't work using bin file from IDE v8

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by imran27 on Thu Mar 10 03:44:27 MST 2016
Hi All,

I want to use USB ISP mode to update the firmware of my LPC11U68 on the 11U68 Xpresso board. I am able to get the board into ISP mode and I see a device called "CRP DISABLED" in Thunar (XFCE). But I am unable to get my program on NXP working if I update the firmware.bin using ISP mode. Also, the bin file generated by the IDE is 14768 bytes whereas the firmware.bin on the NXP (when I flash it via IDE) is 262144 bytes.

I have also tried the LinuxNXPISP.sh script but it complains of size mismatch. I tried to overwrite the firmware .bin using cp -f .../abc.bin .../firmware.bin && sync but no avail, the firmware still doesn't work.

The Post Build steps are all correct yet it doesn't work. For field upgrades it is very crucial to get ISP working
0 Kudos
5 Replies

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

If you require more information on the image checksums, please see the following FAQs:

Creating an LPC valid image checksum directly in the image

LPC Image Checksums

I suspect that you probably need to delete the existing image over mass storage before dropping your new binary onto the disk.

Also I imagine that the file size difference you see is simply because Windows is returning the size of the whole disk rather than just the binary that has been programmed into the flash.

Regards,

LPCXpresso Support

philip_a_ocarro
Contributor I

I hit the same problem as OP. I found the problem by comparing the binary read off the device programmed using the USB MSC with the one programmed via LPC-LINK.

The issue is that when you use LPCXpresso to generate the binary file (I used right click on .axf file->Binary Utilities->Create Binary) it creates a .bin file with a signature of zero. It would be a nice feature if you could choose to add the signature to the binary at this step. The linker script instructions are good though, thanks!

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
bump
0 Kudos

philip_a_ocarro
Contributor I

The .bin file does not have a signature.

The signature is stored at location 0x1c in the .bin file and is a xor sum of the preceding 7 words.

If this is not correct, the part automatically goes back to enumerate as a Mass Storage Device.

0 Kudos

philip_a_ocarro
Contributor I

Sorry, I got that slightly wrong, the signature is the 2's compliment of the additive sum of the first 7 words.

Look for the section "Criterion for Valid User Code" in the manual.

0 Kudos