cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to CF: EzPort?

GaryOlmstead
Senior Contributor I
Hi  --

So, I'm designing my first ColdFire, and the reference manual has a section devoted to a FLASH programmer called ExPort.  Only trouble is, it doesn't specify a connector for the other end, or mention any PC programs to drive it.  So, I Googled it, and got... almost nothing.  I came here, and got even less.

So... Is anybody using EzPort?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

RichTestardi
Senior Contributor II
Hi Gary,

I use EzPort to load up my target boards.

I actually program an M52221DEMO board from CodeWarrior and then load and run a small RAM project to copy the contents of its flash memory out the (master) SPI interface to a target board's (slave) EzPort.  It works great!

If you want details (and source for the RAM project) they are at:

I did not find any "standard" solutions, so I made my own ISP pin header.

-- Rich
0 Kudos

GaryOlmstead
Senior Contributor I
OK, I can handle that; but since I can do the same thing via BDM, does it offer any advantages?

I followed your link; it appears that you are using it for small volumes of programming, since your resume implies that you aren't spending a lot of time debugging hardware these days.  Our volumes are a bit larger, but then again, it might be desirable to use a non-BDM process.

Gary

Message Edited by Gary Olmstead on 2008-05-30 05:02 PM
0 Kudos

RichTestardi
Senior Contributor II
> but since I can do the same thing via BDM, does it offer any advantages?

I think EzPort offers two advantages...  One is the pin count Jim mentioned.  Two is the ability to make cheap, easy, automated "cloners" (which I *didn't* do, since the process I showed is still manual)...

> since your resume implies that you aren't spending a lot of time debugging hardware these days

I *dream* of one day being able to do this stuff full-time!  But for now I'm stuck in Corporate SW land...

I've never found anything cooler than these coldfire cores!

-- Rich

0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III
Rich,
 Be careful what you wish for.

Actually, your method is a very desirable way to do  production programming, because the code to be flashed is already downloaded, so I would imagine it is very fast. It wouldn't take much to automate it. Just a button and an led that flashed a certain pattern, or look at some pins to tell that a board has been plugged it.

You push the button, it burns and then flashes a pattern on the LED for good/bad (or add an LCD). You could also use the USB link (from RAM) to log production burns.

I would have it verify the burn and add a serial number option.

I agree on the CF core - and have for the last 30 years (I always preferred the 68000 to the x86). The CF is the grandson of the 68000.

0 Kudos

RichTestardi
Senior Contributor II
Hi Jim,

FYI, A full clone (128kbytes) takes me 25 seconds, but I might be limited by the SPI speed I chose -- I never tried to make it faster.

-- Rich

0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III
7 pins instead of 26. But as you pointed out, you can't debug the the board.
BTW Thanks  for that it may be handy.

0 Kudos