cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow build for tiny project?

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by mesocyclone on Thu Sep 19 14:35:27 MST 2013
I just started using LPCExpresso, although I've used Eclipse for years.

I noticed that a build that has to do no compile or link (nothing changed) takes a surprisingly long time (about 12 seconds on a fast Mac Mini/Mountain Lion with SSD). In this case, I am compiling a demo LED flasher for the LPC1769, and had only changed one source file (the tiny demo mainline). Details below...

The 2 Build Console windows each show a start and end time of 1 second, but the start time is 12 seconds into the build.

My questions are:[list]
  [*]What's it doing and how can I find out what it is doing?
  [*]Can it be speeded up

[/list]

Is there a way to get a detailed output? During the build, it shows a series of steps on a pop-up, but doesn't log them in the console, and they are vague "Invoking Command:" (i.e. no command is shown).

DETAILS

The only projects open in Project Explorer are my test project (MyTwinkle) and CMSISv2p00_LPC17xx

Here is one of the console outputs:

Quote:
14:27:06 **** Incremental Build of configuration Debug for project MyTwinkle ****
make all
make: Nothing to be done for `all'.

14:27:06 Build Finished (took 80ms)

Here is the other:

Quote:
14:31:41 **** Incremental Build of configuration Debug for project CMSISv2p00_LPC17xx ****
make all
make: Nothing to be done for `all'.

14:31:41 Build Finished (took 80ms)

0 Kudos
2 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by mesocyclone on Fri Sep 20 10:44:52 MST 2013
Thanks for your response.

As it turns out, my problem went away when I built a new project. Go figure. It was during the build stage, though, before the debug phase... but I guess it doesn't matter.

But the debug selection advice above is still useful.

Now, if I can figure out why I can debug, but not run in production mode...
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Fri Sep 20 02:11:00 MST 2013
I don't think this is the build, but the debug startup. This is caused by the debugger searching for ("discovering") debug probes. Due to an issue with the USB drivers on Mac OS, there is a 5 second timeout if a searched-for debug probe is not connected.

A simple workaround is to only search for the debug probes you have connected. To do this:
[list]
  [*]Open the menu LPCXpresso->Preferences
  [*]Expand the LPCXpresso group and select Debug Emulator Selection
  [*]Uncheck the debug probes you do not have connected to your system
[/list]

I hope that helps

*** EDIT ***
The description for changing the Debug Emulator Selection only applies to LPCXpresso 6. It is not possible to change the selections in earlier versions of LPCXpresso.
0 Kudos