Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching between Debug and Release

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Rob65 on Mon Feb 08 12:26:26 MST 2010
I've been struggling a bit with the Debug and Release settings in LPCXpesso.

For one, some of the properties in a project are - per default - editable for Debug configuration only. This means that if I set everything up (like include folders) these are for debug only - I need to manually select the "All Configurations" in the configurations settings on top of the properties window.
This seems a bit strange since why would I have different include files for release and debug ...

This is even worse for libraries - I not only have to select which libraries to load for debug and release as separate libraries but I also need to select the directories from where these libraries are retrieved.
I.e: "${workspace_loc:/Lib_CMSISv1p30_LPC13xx/Debug}" and "${workspace_loc:/Lib_CMSISv1p30_LPC13xx/Release}" need to be specified as different items. Why not have one item with a $CONFIG in the directory name.
This not only time consuming but also error prone - before I know I have a debug lib included in a release config ...

Then it also looks like I have to set which configuration to build per project.
Even if I select the Release configuration and the perform a build all it seems like only those projects where I selected the Release config (in Project - Build Configurations - Set Active).

And - as a last thing - The items in the Quickstart panel that state which configuration are not following the active configuration settings.
If I select a project, then change the release config using the Project - Build Configurations menu and look at the Quickstart panel, there is still a (Debug) behind the "Build All" and other items. Only after clicking on the project again this is changed.
But also here - if I click on "Build all projects (Release)" it still compiles to a project for Debug id that was the last configuration set for that project.
A bit of a pain in the ... if I have different libraries in a clean environment since I need to select the Release/Debug separately for each library project.

I have the feeling I am missing something here (or this is why I loved my old Unix make environment) ...

Regards,

Rob
0 Kudos
4 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Wed Feb 10 03:36:56 MST 2010
(More info)
You can overcome the error when trying to install the additional plugins by editing the file
<install>/eclipse/lpcxpresso.ini and replacing the contents with:
-startup
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.0.201.R35x_v20090715.jar
--launcher.library
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_1.0.200.v20090519
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
256M
-vmargs
-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.5
-Xms40m
-Xmx256m   

You will need to close and Restart LPCXpresso for these changes to take affect. This should overcome the error you are seeing when trying to install the additional software.

However, as mentioned in my previous past, the is a cut down version of Eclipse, and so we cannot guarantee that any additional plugins will work.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Wed Feb 10 03:17:50 MST 2010
Hi,

I'm sorry, but this is a cut-down version of a full Eclipse installation and does not allow the installation of additional plugins. That is why the option does not exist on the Help menu.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Rob65 on Wed Feb 10 02:07:53 MST 2010
Yes Thanks,

that helped.
The ${ConfigName} is nice - too bad the examples don't use it that way.

I have to play with the working sets a bit - maybe it is time to start reading manuals :rolleyes:

Hm, manuals ... In the Help I found that I can install new software using Help - Install new software but that option is not available in the help menu.
I can select this directly from the help manuals (Workbench User Guide > Tasks > Updating and installing Software > Installing new software) but I was unable to install the Subversive team plugin.
The following error appears:
An error occurred while installing the items
  session context was:(profile=profile, phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.engine.phases.Install, operand=null --> [R]org.eclipse.equinox.concurrent 1.0.0.v20090520-1800, action=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint.eclipse.actions.InstallBundleAction).
  Error while loading manipulator.
  Error while loading manipulator.
Rob
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Tue Feb 09 11:52:01 MST 2010
Hi,

A few points.
1. As you note, you can select "[All configurations]" and set the options for all configurations.
2. You can set a common configuration for Libraries. The variable you are looking for is ${ConfigName}. Thus, you can use something like:
"${workspace_loc:/Lib_CMSISv1p30_LPC13xx}/${ConfigName}" 

3. You can set the active build configuration for a set of projects:
a) You can select all the projects you wish to change in the Project Explorer, and use the Project->Build Configurations->Set Active menu item
b) You can define a "Working set" of projects and set the build configuration for that working set.
4. We have fixed the bug where the active build configuration in the Quickstart wasn't being tracked (thanks for reporting this). This will be released in the next version of LPCXpresso IDE.

Hope that helps,
0 Kudos