cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPC Link 2 Firmware for Red Suite/LPCXpresso

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by ktownsend on Tue Apr 30 06:32:57 MST 2013
Am I missing something, or is there no firmware available yet for Red Suite with the new LPC Link 2?

I received three LPC-Link 2's today and tested them successfully with the J-Link firmware in other IDEs, but didn't see how to get these working with Red Suite 5.2.2 (256KB NXP Edition) using the latest configuration tool: http://www.lpcware.com/lpclink2-config-tool
0 Kudos
17 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Thu Jun 20 01:32:11 MST 2013
Can you explain what did not work? Any error messages?

Note that libusb-1.0.dll is NOT provided by Windows, so if there is a 'system installed' version, it must be some other software that has installed it. If you can find what installed it, we can then investigate if there any incompatibilities.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by pelrun on Wed Jun 19 20:34:00 MST 2013
I've just set up two machines with new LPC-Link 2's. One worked first time, whereas the other did not. Both machines are running Win 7 x64.

After a lot of messing around, I got it working by *deleting* the libusb-1.0.dll that's in the same directory as dfu-util, allowing dfu-util to use the system-installed version (obviously, if you don't have it installed on your system you'll have to do that.)
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by ktownsend on Thu May 02 10:40:59 MST 2013
It re-enumerates as 'LPCDevice/LPC Based USB device' with that driver, but RedSuite still doesn't recognize it during startup.

I'll try on a clean PC with a clean install, since I'm definitely scratching my head on why it's not being recognised.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Thu May 02 03:04:28 MST 2013
Try "lpc18xx_43xx_winusb_drivers_v1.00"

Regards,
CodeRedSupport
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by ktownsend on Thu May 02 01:51:33 MST 2013
The 'LpcDevice' name seemed odd to me since the USB descriptor only has 'LPC' so I deleted the existing driver in Windows, and reinserted the device and it shows up as 'LPC' (as expected looking at the device descriptor).

It doesn't find a driver out of the box, though, and perhaps it was using the wrong one previously based on a common product ID?

What .inf file specifically should I be pointing to in the drivers folder for 5.2.2?

Looking at the LPC-Link .inf in 5.2.2 of the NXP Edition of RedSuite I can see the product IDs don't match (0x9 instead of 0xC on the LPC-Link 2):

[LPCXpressoDevice_WinUSB.NTx86]
%USB\LPCXpressoDevice.DeviceDesc% =USB_Install, USB\VID_1FC9&PID_0009

[LPCXpressoDevice_WinUSB.NTamd64]
%USB\LPCXpressoDevice.DeviceDesc% =USB_Install, USB\VID_1FC9&PID_0009
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Thu May 02 01:23:16 MST 2013
Any luck with the 2nd LPC-Link2?

Can you also confirm that when you say "[I]The 'Boot Redlink' option is indeed checked off[/I]", you mean that the box is ticked?

From your description so far, it sounds like the IDE is failing to boot the probe. This should automatically happen with the box ticked, but it might be worth trying to boot from the command line. To do this:

Remove the LPC-Link2 from your PC.

Plug it back in again and make sure that it appears as "LPC" in [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers[/SIZE][/FONT].

Open a command prompt at:
[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2]C:\nxp\LPCXpresso_5.2.4_2122\lpcxpresso\bin[/SIZE][/FONT]

Enter the command:
dfu-util -d 0x1fc9:0x000c -c 0 -D LPC4320_Redlink_V1_03.bin.hdr

The LPC-Link2 should now reenumerate and appear as "Redlink" in Devices and Printers.

Please let us know what you see.

Regards,
CodeRedSupport
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by ktownsend on Wed May 01 09:38:41 MST 2013
The 'Boot Redlink' option is indeed checked off, and I also tried explicitly setting the project to use RedLink in the debug properties, but still no luck.

I'll try out the second LPCLink2 now, although I had no problems with this one in J-Link mode in Crossworks.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Wed May 01 03:36:31 MST 2013
One other thing to check. Go to:

Window -> Preferences -> LPCXpresso -> Redlink

There should be an entry called "Boot Redlink". This should be ticked/enabled. Is it?

If not, try enabling the option, then starting a debug session again (you may need to restart LPCXpresso for the change to be picked up).

Regards,
CodeRedSupport.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Wed May 01 03:19:47 MST 2013
You mentioned having a second LPC-Link2. Does that function any differently?

Regards,
CodeRedSupport
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by ktownsend on Wed May 01 02:46:03 MST 2013

Quote: NXP_USA
Try un-checking the "remember my selection.." checkbox, and then press "Search Again". I just tested a LPC11U37 board with a Link 2 that used to be a J-Link, and once I this this it woks without issue.

Still nothing unchecking the box.

I went into the Device Manager and uninstalled the device, deleting the drivers in the process, and then when reinserting the LPC Link 2 it re-enumarates as a new device, and I manually pointed it to the 'C:\code_red\RedSuiteNXP_5.2.2_2108\Drivers' for the driver in the Device Manager.

This identified it as an LPC Link, but it still doesn't get identified in Red Suite 5.2.2, without or without the 'remember my selection' checkbox.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by ktownsend on Wed May 01 02:39:45 MST 2013
Im using Windows 7 x64, running natively, so there are no USB enumeration issues.  Booting in DFU mode the device enumarates as follows:

========================= USB Port2 =========================

Connection Status        : Device is connected
Port Chain               : 3-2

======================== USB Device ========================

+++++++++++++++++ Device Information ++++++++++++++++++
Device Description       : LPC based USB device
Device ID                : USB\VID_1FC9&PID_000C\ABCD
Driver KeyName           : {378029ad-c65d-40e3-b5fe-a740129416e4}\0000
Driver                   : C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\WinUSB.sys (Version: 6.1.7601  Date: 2010-11-20)
Legacy BusType           : PNPBus
Class                    : LpcDevice
Service                  : WinUSB
Enumerator               : USB
Location Info            : Port_#0002.Hub_#0001
Manufacturer Info        : NXP
Capabilities             : Removable, UniqueID
Address                  : 2
Problem Code             : 0
Power State              : D0 (supported: D0, D3, wake from D0)

---------------- Connection Information ---------------
Connection Index         : 0x02
Connection Status        : 0x01 (DeviceConnected)
Current Config Value     : 0x01
Device Address           : 0x0D
Is Hub                   : 0x00 (no)
Number Of Open Pipes     : 0x00 (0)
Device Bus Speed         : 0x02 (High-Speed)

------------- Device Qualifier Descriptor -------------
bLength                  : 0x12 (18 bytes)
bDescriptorType          : 0x01 (Device Qualifier Descriptor)
bcdUSB                   : 0x200 (USB Version 2.00)
bDeviceClass             : 0x00 (defined by the interface descriptors)
bDeviceSubClass          : 0x00
bDeviceProtocol          : 0x00
bMaxPacketSize0          : 0x40 (64 bytes)
idVendor                 : 0x1FC9 (NXP Semiconductors)
idProduct                : 0x000C
bcdDevice                : 0x100
iManufacturer            : 0x01
 Language 0x0409         : "NXP"
iProduct                 : 0x02
 Language 0x0409         : "LPC"
iSerialNumber            : 0x03
 Language 0x0409         : "ABCD"
bNumConfigurations       : 0x01

-------------- Configuration Descriptor ---------------
bLength                  : 0x09 (9 bytes)
bDescriptorType          : 0x02 (Configuration Descriptor)
wTotalLength             : 0x001B (27 bytes)
bNumInterfaces           : 0x01
bConfigurationValue      : 0x01
iConfiguration           : 0x00
bmAttributes             : 0xC0 (Bus Powered, Self Powered)
MaxPower                 : 0x32 (100 mA)

---------------- Interface Descriptor -----------------
bDescriptorType          : 0x04 (Interface Descriptor)
bInterfaceNumber         : 0x00
bAlternateSetting        : 0x00
bNumEndpoints            : 0x00
bInterfaceClass          : 0xFE (Application Specific)
bInterfaceSubClass       : 0x01
bInterfaceProtocol       : 0x01
iInterface               : 0x04
 Language 0x0409         : "DFU"

------------------- HID Descriptor --------------------
bDescriptorType          : 0x21 (HID Descriptor)
bcdHID                   : 0x0009 (HID Version 0.09)
bCountryCode             : 0xFF (255 = Reserved)
bNumDescriptors          : 0x00

When I look in the Device Manager, it appears under the "LpcDevice" group as "LPC Based USB Device" (not under printers), so I assume it's enumerating, but when I click debug from the toolbars in the bottom left toolbar, I simply get this popup dialogue right away, an it stalls at 'Launching <projectname>" in the status bar on the bottom (screenshot attached).
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Wed May 01 00:54:32 MST 2013
When you first plug the LPC-Link2 into your PC (assuming you are running Windows 7), it should appear under "Devices and Printers" as "LPC" - which is the DFU bootable device.

Then when you start a debug connection you should see a pop-up appear in the IDE saying "Initializing Redlink", after which the "Connect to emulator" dialog should appear with a "Redlink" entry listed for you to select (rather than the empty list that you get).

At this point, Windows "Devices and Printers" should also be showing a "Redlink" to replace the original "LPC".

Can you tell us what behaviour you actually see in contrast to the above?

Please also clarify the details of the host machine that you are running the IDE on, and also whether you are trying to connect from a "native" machine, or under a virtual machine?

Regards,
CodeRedSupport.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by NXP_USA on Tue Apr 30 17:20:59 MST 2013
Try un-checking the "remember my selection.." checkbox, and then press "Search Again". I just tested a LPC11U37 board with a Link 2 that used to be a J-Link, and once I this this it woks without issue.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by ktownsend on Tue Apr 30 14:23:40 MST 2013
No jumper installed.  It's a custom LPC11U37FBD48/401 board, but the board is good.  I've used it with Keil and Crossworks with a J-Link, and a Red Probe+ in Code Red.  I have another LPC Link 2 here I can try out, though, or at worst I'll reinstall Red Suite and the drivers.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by NXP_USA on Tue Apr 30 13:41:20 MST 2013
As long as there is no jumper in the JP1 position on the LPC-Link 2, power cycling it will reset it to its "default" state, which is LPCXpresso-IDE compatible.

Which boards are you attempting to connect to?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by ktownsend on Tue Apr 30 13:11:14 MST 2013
Does LPC11 and LPC13 include the 'LPC11U' and LPC13U' families?  Red Suite 5.2.2 (256KB NXP Edition) doesn't detect the LPC-Link when I boot it in USB DFU mode.  I did previously program it as a J-Link, but setting jumper 1 to DFU should skip the SPIFI code anyway.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Tue Apr 30 07:46:15 MST 2013
You just need to plug it in and the tools will detect it. There is no need to load any firmware - this is autoloaded each time you power the board up (in the same way as the LPCXpresso/LPC-Link boards).

But note the point about currently supported targets in this previous post:

http://knowledgebase.nxp.com/showpost.php?p=24184&postcount=6

Regards,
CodeRedSupport
0 Kudos