cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reset Vector

presto
Contributor I
Hey,

I'm working with a 8-bit freescale micro and I have heard that it might be possible to use dont cares in your reset vector, is that true? I

I've only heard of it from one source so I wanted to find out if it was possible and if so how do I go about doing it(C or assembly is fine)

Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

presto
Contributor I
hey,

My question originates becuase I have a micro that I'm reading in and the reset vector that Im getting is out of valid range for the chip.

i considered big and little endian but even bit flipped the reset vector is invalid.

any ideas why I would be reading in an incorrect reset vector?

The chip I have has code already on it and I'm trying to preserve it.
0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III
What chip is it? Part number?
0 Kudos

denny_george
Contributor I
Hello,

Why would anyone want to read the RESET VECTOR ?

And instead of having don't care value , a dummy ISR address is given normally. Its a good practice from system point of view.
0 Kudos

UK_CF_FAE
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Hi Presto,

Welcome to the forum.

So you have a non-specified Freescale 8-bit mcu which you are trying to read to 'preserve' the code, and the reset vector does not make sense?

I can think of many, many reasons why this is the case.

Could the device be secured against intrusive access?
Might this be a RS08 and the 'reset vector' is not where you think it is (it is not at 0xFFFF)
You have an HC08 in Monitor Mode

Before we all expend lots of energy on this problem, can you please provide the following information
1) Please warrant that this is your application that you are trying to preserve, and that you are not trying to reverse engineer anything. I would not want to help you to do that.
2) Please give us either the device part number (if you know it) or the legend printed on the top of the device. All the details from every line. If you do not know the device part number, please see item 1).
3) The mechanism that you are using to read the device. Mono8, BDM, SEM (if it is a SEM, see item 1))
4) For those of us with analytical brains, what address are you reading, and what values are you getting?

Mark

0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III
What exactly do you mean by "don't cares". If you mean any value, which is usually what "don't care" means, then no, it must point to your start up code.

If you mean that you don't have address that your self because the project frame work does, then yes, you do not have to do anything for your program to make it to "main" from a reset.

Message Edited by JimDon on 2008-05-29 11:16 AM
0 Kudos