Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPCXpresso 128k Limit

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Mark_O on Fri Feb 12 08:03:54 MST 2010
On the NXP website here, it says in the 3rd FAQ:

> [I]Code Red is providing two low-cost upgrades of Red Suite for LPCXpresso to handle higher download sizes of 256KB and 512KB. Please visit the Code Red website for more information. [/I]<

However, on the Code Red site, there is nothing there I could see, other than the full-blown Red Suite 2. Can someone direct me to where that information can be found? Thanks.

- Mark
0 Kudos
16 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by renan on Wed Mar 03 13:22:30 MST 2010
When you build your project, you will see in console view, something like this:

make --no-print-directory post-build
Performing post-build steps
arm-none-eabi-size Orion_Ihm.axf; # arm-none-eabi-objcopy -O ihex Orion_Ihm.axf Orion_Ihm.hex ;
   text       data        bss        dec        hex    filename
  36700        752      21092      58544       e4b0    Orion_Ihm.axf

text, in my case 36700. So if I'am right my project is 36.7kb.

Renan
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by tkreyche on Wed Mar 03 13:07:15 MST 2010
How can we measure total flash usage, since that is the basis for determining which level of license is required?

If you right click on the binary file in the IDE, and select Binary Utilities -> Size, there is some information but it is not clear what it means.

I've searched this forum and Code Red and haven't found an answer - sorry if I missed it.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Sun Feb 28 03:02:42 MST 2010
1. Because LPCXpresso is based on a cut-down version of Eclipse.
2. The ability to program the flash without running the debugger
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Mark_O on Sat Feb 27 19:26:36 MST 2010
Thanks for all the answers, both CodeRed and Bruce (I missed that).

I do have a couple followup questions, relating to differences between the LPCXpresso version and the RedSuite NXP editions.

1)  the LPCXpresso IDE does not "support 3rd party plug-ins".  I don't understand how this is possible.

2)  No "Standalone flash programming".  What does this mean, exactly?

Thanks!

- Mark
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Sat Feb 27 10:30:28 MST 2010
Hi MarkO,

To answer your points:
1. These products are already very competitively priced and so there is currently no plan to offer a discounted upgrade from the 256k to 512k version.
2. It is 256k total flash usage
3. You need to purchase one per computer. There is no floating license. The post from brucesegal is correct.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by brucesegal on Sat Feb 27 10:11:22 MST 2010
The current Code Red suite doesn't appear to offer any floating license scheme, although I would really appreciate having that option. Here is a copy from their knowledge base about licensing.

[INDENT]License Re-activation Lockout
The re-activation lockout settings allow a legitimate user to re-install the software on the same computer or on a different computer a number of times within a given period of time, but will stop abuse or excessive re-activations by barring any new re-activations (a lockout) for a period of time (the cooling period) following the lockout. Once the lockout cooling period is finished, the counters are reset, and new re-activations are again allowed.
You are allowed 2 reactivations in 30 days -> 30 day cooling period[/INDENT].
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Mark_O on Fri Feb 26 17:59:00 MST 2010
Thanks for the information on the new Red Suite 3 family of products.  The web pages are quite informative.

I was asked to confirm a couple things:

1)  if we purchased 4 licenses to the 256k Suite now, then found a year later that we had outgrown that and needed to move to the 512k Suite, there will be no upgrade path, and we'd have to pay full boat for all the 512k Suites?

2)  is the 256k Suite limited to 256k of code, or 256k total Flash usage (including fixed tables, etc.)?  In other words, could the extra 256k on a 512k part be utilized, or is it wasted?

3)  are the per-seat licenses locked to a workstation, or is there are provisions for floating in any way?  I.e., the license does mention laptops, but one or two of our developers spend as much time working off-site (at home, etc.) as they do here on their workstations in the office. 

At no time would both their on-site and off-site machines be in use simultaneously, but it sounds like 2 licenses would still be needed?  Or is there a mechanism to handle that usage situation that I'm not aware of?  Thanks!

[BTW, we have one of the new RDB1768v2 boards on the way, and I wanted to say 'thanks' for all the new and updated support information that's been made available recently for that product.]

- Mark
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Mon Feb 15 05:11:20 MST 2010
Hello,

Thanks for you interest in our products. The web pages has now been updated to include information on the new Red Suite 3 family of products.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Mark_O on Sun Feb 14 18:40:12 MST 2010

Quote: CodeRedSupport
There are currently no plans to offer such a path. The pricing is already extremely competitive.

OK. I'm a little bit confused now. I was just reviewing the specs on the [B]CodeRed page for LPCXpresso[/B], and it indicates...

" - [I]Discounted upgrades to full Red Suite[/I]."

which would seem to be contrary to information provided here. Lastly, the more I look at the LPCXpresso vs. the RedSuite, the less able I am to see what differentiates the two.

- LPCXpresso is based on a simplified Eclipse
- The Red Suite IDE is based on Eclipse

- The LPCXpresso IDE provides a C programming environment...  (but includes C++, as reported in this Forum)
- The Red Suite IDE provides a C/C++ programming environment...

- LPCXpresso is limited to NXP LPC chips (Cortex-M3 and Cortex-M0, ARM7 and ARM9)
- RedSuite includes the Stellaris family from Luminary Micro, but doesn't mention the NXP ARM9's at all

- LPCXpresso has: Support for LPC-Link and Red Probe debug emulators.
- RedSuite has: Full support for both JTAG and low-pin count SWD debugging.

Perhaps CodeRed could expound a bit on some of the significant differences between the two products? That would be very helpful. It does look like RedTrace is unique to the RedSuite, but it's not clear what tracing/debug capabilities the LPCXpresso does have, or in what ways they may be less powerful. Thanks!

- Mark

P.S. There was a mention of RedSuite 3 earlier, and I was curious when the web pages for the newer version will be going up? Thanks.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Mark_O on Sun Feb 14 18:02:53 MST 2010

There are currently no plans to offer such a path. The pricing is already extremely competitive.

Thanks. I agree about the pricing being competitive. It's also a good inducement to those who want to start small.

It's just that someone starting with 256k may eventually outgrow that, and someday find that they need, say 350k, for their Apps... and want to step up. Since the original price delta for 256k-512k was $256, it makes sense (to me) to offer that as an upgrade path. As it is, it requires making an up-front decision about how much one's needs may grow in the future.

For the full Suite, not quite so much, since the difference there is in breadth of product/processor support. Though I'm sure someone could (try) to make a case for that as well. I'm just trying to collect information to make a recommendation to my boss on processor/development platform options.

Thanks for the quick answers.

- Mark
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Sun Feb 14 09:22:21 MST 2010
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Mark_O on Sun Feb 14 03:45:06 MST 2010

The summary is:
Red Suite 3 (NXP 256k) $256
Red Suite 3 (NXP 512k) $512
Red Suite 3 $999

Will there be a migration path? I.e., so that a purchaser of 256k could later move up to 512k, or even the full suite, at an incremental price? Thanks!

- Mark
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Sat Feb 13 03:13:45 MST 2010
There will be no quantity discount for these low-cost versions.

When ordering Red Suite, the discount is applied when you complete the checkout.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Mark_O on Fri Feb 12 19:06:34 MST 2010

The pages are going live this weekend and the product will be released next week... Hope that helps

It does help, a lot. Thanks very much for the quick response.

- Mark

P.S.  As a related followup question, will these also be available at a quantity discount, like the full Red Suite 2 claims to be?  (I say "claims", because when I tested putting in Qty 3 on the ordering page, no 20% discount was shown.)
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by brucesegal on Fri Feb 12 17:33:20 MST 2010

Quote: Mark_O
On the NXP website here, it says in the 3rd FAQ:

> [I]Code Red is providing two low-cost upgrades of Red Suite for LPCXpresso to handle higher download sizes of 256KB and 512KB. Please visit the Code Red website for more information. [/I]<

However, on the Code Red site, there is nothing there I could see, other than the full-blown Red Suite 2. Can someone direct me to where that information can be found? Thanks.

- Mark

What about current Red Suite 2 users? What is the charge to upgrade to Red Suite 3? Or no charge perhaps?

Thanks,

Bruce
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Fri Feb 12 09:00:19 MST 2010
Hi,

The pages are going live this weekend and the product will be released next week.

The summary is:
Red Suite 3 (NXP 256k) $256
Red Suite 3 (NXP 512k) $512
Red Suite 3 $999

Hope that helps
0 Kudos