Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Assistance. GSM AT commands via USB

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by JJClyne on Mon May 21 10:57:03 MST 2012
Hi everyone, please allow me some of your time with this problem.

I have bought myself a GSM modem with a USB interface. (Huawei E1750)I can't seem to find a reasonably priced GSM module anywhere near my area.

Basically, all i want to do is to send AT commands to the GSM Modem to perform simple read and write of SMSes. All of which is done via LPC 1769.

Will anyone point me to the right directions as to how I can approach this problem ?

Problem 1) Is it possible to send AT Commands via USB connection on the LPC 1769 ?
If so, kindly point me in the right directions.

I understand that UART is usually used for such GSM projects. However, My development PC has no serial port and the modem only has a USB interface, hence, i am not able to test AT commands via Hyper Terminal.

The only choice for me, right now, is to send AT commands via LPC 1769 - Via a Usb to 9pin adapter which allows me to connect D+ D- Gnd 5v onto the LPC.

Many many thanks.
0 Kudos
3 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by creafyumi on Sun May 27 18:52:44 MST 2012

Quote: JJClyne
I was able to send AT Commands via Hyper Terminal through USB.

Now, I need some directions to achieve communication to the USB Modem via LPC 1769.
The necessary connections  Data+/- 5v gnd can be implemented without much problems.

Can a nice soul kindly point me in the right direction to achieve USB based communication LPC 1769 -> USB modem. Is there any sample codes i could look at

I think if your wanna do that, then you need to implement LPC1769 as USB Host Controller for CDC, then you can communicate with the Huawei USB modem.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by JJClyne on Mon May 21 21:42:31 MST 2012

Quote: cmcquaid
Looks like your modem will enumerate as a USB serial device, so you _can_ send AT commands through hyperterminal or, preferably, a better terminal emulator. Just plug it in and run 'devmgmt.msc' to see which port number it shows up as.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/gome-flytouch-ii-accessories/4686-my-manual-huawei-usb-3g.html

Of course, you can still use the 1769 as a USB CDC host with another CDC interface back to your PC... :D

I was able to send AT Commands via Hyper Terminal through USB.

Now, I need some directions to achieve communication to the USB Modem via LPC 1769.
The necessary connections  Data+/- 5v gnd can be implemented without much problems.

Can a nice soul kindly point me in the right direction to achieve USB based communication LPC 1769 -> USB modem. Is there any sample codes i could look at
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by cmcquaid on Mon May 21 16:15:31 MST 2012
Looks like your modem will enumerate as a USB serial device, so you _can_ send AT commands through hyperterminal or, preferably, a better terminal emulator. Just plug it in and run 'devmgmt.msc' to see which port number it shows up as.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/gome-flytouch-ii-accessories/4686-my-manual-huawei-usb-3g.html

Of course, you can still use the 1769 as a USB CDC host with another CDC interface back to your PC... :D
0 Kudos