How much current LPC-Link module supplies ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much current LPC-Link module supplies ?

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by noritan_org on Sat Feb 20 22:55:41 MST 2010
Hi,

The LPC-Link part of the LPCXpresso board can provide "VIO_3V3" power supply to the target MCU board.
I have recognized from the schematic that the "VIO_3V3" is supplied by the internal regulator of the LPC3154 processor.

My question is :
1) How much current can be supplied by the LPC-Link part of the LPCXpresso board ?  What is the design target of the board ?

2) Will the LPC3154 shut down when too much current drawn ?  Are there any protection ?
0 Kudos
1 Reply

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by NXP_USA on Wed Feb 24 03:58:50 MST 2010

Quote: noritan_org
Hi,

The LPC-Link part of the LPCXpresso board can provide "VIO_3V3" power supply to the target MCU board.
I have recognized from the schematic that the "VIO_3V3" is supplied by the internal regulator of the LPC3154 processor.

My question is :
1) How much current can be supplied by the LPC-Link part of the LPCXpresso board ?  What is the design target of the board ?

2) Will the LPC3154 shut down when too much current drawn ?  Are there any protection ?

Hello noritan_org,

The LPC3154's 5V to 3.3V USB linear regulator can supply 250 mA on the 3.3V rail and has current and thermal limiting. This is split between the LPC3154 I/O ring and the two core regulators for the LPC3154. There are about 100 mA left over to power the target. The LPC13xx typically consumes 17mA executing at 72 MHz. The LPC-LINK interface on the LPC11xx or LPC13xx boards is not capable of reliably powering the LPCXpresso base board; a second USB cable must be used to power the base board.

-NXP
0 Kudos